7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2017 6:51 AM by hutao9999

Business Intelligence Rest Api

Elise

Dear Jive Support

We would like to bring our Business Intelligence Data-  through a rest API  - into our Social platform.

Have you ever done something similar - If yes what would be your recommendation.

Thank you in advance.

• Re: Business Intelligence Rest Api
          moesingh

I got the Tableau Javascript API to go in Jive.  basically, i made a button icon in the TinyMCE that would make a div with the relavent data (e.g. url, frame size) and then in a document view, on page load, it would convert it into a iframe via the Javascript API.  i also did the same so that you can have custom web pages show up in an iframe in a document.  It was all done in my case via Javascript, since their macro add button stuff didn't work quite well, nor prompts you for information such as url, window size, etc.. 

Elise

Hi Mohanjit Grewal

Can you share with me some printscreens on the final result. It would be more visible for me

Thank you in advance.

moesingh

sure,

first, the plugin is a single javascript file.  the button shows up in the tinymce editor (the main one for now) - had to hack this with javascript (the "official" way to do it didn't work after a few hours trying) - this was the trickiest part. 

The button next to the emoticon's button is for our "external web" plugin which allows you to insert external web urls into an iframe.  this was a simple modification of the tableau plugin.  the next button (the tableau icon) is the talbeau plugin.  the buttons look awkward in Jive 8 (below), but look nice in Jive 7 (our prod instance) - you could have also used the official macro stuff to get "Insert Tableau View" into the "Insert" button (the two greater than signs) then intercepted it from there. 

the following pop's out when you click on the Tableau button:

If I put in a non-tableau server, this happens (it tries to load the JavaScript API library from the server):

Since I am running on https, if i try putting in http, this happens (one of the drawbacks):

So then I put in a tableau view e.g. :  https://public.tableau.com/views/WorldIndicators/GDPpercapita  it will make a div with relevant 'data'

I can remove it by deleting the icon (I am able to modify text, etc... ), if i try to be funny and hit enter at the end, another div forms, but i have a javascript routine to detect that and delete it.

If i try to insert another tableau view in the middle of that view, this happens:

Now that the view is there, you can name the view and click "save draft".  Once you can see the view, you get the following:

I've tested it with different views on the same page, the same view but different sizes, etc... and it seems ok.  You can't do any modifications for now, but that's because I haven't gotten a requirement to do so (would be straightfoward).

With regards to authenticating, the Tableau Javascript API basically converts data you send it into an iframe (that's all it does!) - so it will prompt you for mutual auth keys, basic auth info, etc. and if you're logged in already in the same browser, it'll just show you the information (no need to store username/password data in Jive or use Trust!)

Now, for a more "official" way of doing it, rather than Javascript, you can look into Google Maps Macro but mind you that doc is really old. 

moesingh

I'll double-check wit the boss and shre this plugin for the community.  it's a plugin.  don't know if plugins work on the cloud.