3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2016 2:04 PM by Scott A Johnson

How to add custom menu item in navbar.soy in Jive 7?

choss

I'm trying to add a custom menu item to our main navigation bar in addition to the custom menu items we have from the out-of-the-box theming tool.  I found this add a new tab in menu discussion, but the solution is not working for me... maybe because this was for an earlier version of Jive.  I'm hoping I can do this in navbar.soy and possibly navlink.soy rather than with a plugin and bean as describe in the comments of Re: How to create a custom link(s) drop down on the nav Bar?  Furthermore, we would like this menu item to have a submenu.  If nothing else, maybe someone could provide guidance on adding jQuery to soy files?  I have tried adding jQuery to navbar.soy, javascript.soy, template.soy, and header.soy, but I either get an error or nothing happens in the UI at all.  Thank you! 

• Re: How to add custom menu item in navbar.soy in Jive 7?
          moesingh

i'd just make a plugin with javascript, and add the jquery commands.  e.g. $j(document).load(funciton(){  $j("#j-globalNav-bg").append("<p>some link</p>")  }) , etc. (of course, assign an id to that link, use ul and li to match the previous stuff, etc....).  you could just do a clone on an existing thing if you want and append that after modifying a bit.  you can try it out before hand by running your site in chrome, hitting f12 and typing in the command above inside the funciton above (starting iwth $j("globalNav") to see what would happen.

but i don't know the "official" way of doing it or if that's even possible.

1 person found this helpful