11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2016 4:44 PM by scottwdennis

Using Jive for developer-focused online communities?

jmaaks

Does your company have a software developer-focused online community, perhaps as part of a Developer Relations function?  Are you interested in best practices and considerations when using Jive to build a community focused on software developers?

I am...and a few areas where I'd love to learn how others approach this include:

• Do you use Jive as the main hub of your developer community?  Or are there good reasons to have a separate developer.company.com website with Jive focused on just the discussion board / collaboration features?
      • How do you use spaces versus groups for organizing your content when you have a large number of products / APIs?
      • Do you also have an internal developer community?  If so, how do you keep from overwhelming your internal developers by giving them too many places to go?
      • How do you incent your internal developers to spend time in your external community?  Especially when their managers have set aggressive coding deadlines...and they just don't have time.  What about your professional services teams?  These folks are the practitioners that likely have very strong experiences to share, but due to billable utilization targets they often don't have the luxury of time to answer questions or write blogs.
      • What type of 3rd-party integrations (such as GitHub4Jive ) are useful to consider?
      • What Jive customers have great developer communities that we could reference?  For example, Element14 was mentioned as a great example.

A few weeks ago jjlovett, Sam Creek, Ryan Rutan, and I were talking about these topics and thought perhaps others in the Jive community would be interested in connecting as well. 

Please reply with your questions (or solutions & feedback!), and let us know if you'd like to meet up online for a "birds of a feather" discussion or perhaps have a breakout at JiveWorld16.

Cc:

Developer

• Re: Using Jive for developer-focused online communities?
          Billy Volpone

This is such a great question/post... thanks for creating this Jeff. I can recommend a few examples I like to show when speaking to developer networks, but those community managers should then speak for themselves specific to how they chose to build this out within their own network. I will say that in most all cases, the network network (like yours today) is a part of the larger community. Collaboration and discussions are beneficial to any and all users for nearly any number of use cases. It's really a matter of your key questions around organization and adoption. Gamification surely helps but organization is just as important.

Jordan Dayton, I know the Canvas community has a developer group(s). Maybe you can kick things off around how you'd ideally like to see that work. Other examples I often show are these:

https://community.emc.com/community/edn

https://community.servicenow.com/community/develop

Space: Devgurus | Community

https://pisquare.osisoft.com/community/developers-club

Group: ARM Development Platforms |ARM Connected Community

Developer  (Jive, of course)

1 person found this helpful
            mcollinge

Thanks for the mention Jeff As most people know, element14 Community is aimed at electrical engineers, and they do a fair amount of coding for development boards like the Raspberry Pi, Arduino, etc. There are a number of tweaks we made to the Jive code to help our members share code a bit better than how Jive does it out-of-the-box.

GitHub Gist Macro Added to RTE

Users can enter a Gist ID and it'll be pulled into the piece of content automagically.. a bit like embedding a Google Map;

Syntax Highlighting Changes

We altered the Syntax Highlighting feature to give us back some of the things that Jive removed (the editor is an altered version of TinyMCE);

1. Allow users to 'expand source' on code snippets. We found that members were posting multiple v.long code snippets in content, so we put a size limit back on the display, and the user can hit 'Expand Source' to see the whole thing.

2. Allow users to 'view plain' on code blocks. Some people find that preferable from trying to copy and paste from a text area (which sometimes screws up indentation, etc), so we added 'view plan' back in.

3. Add options/icons back into the mini-RTE that were hidden. The mini editor doesn't have all the icons our power users need.. so we added icons like the 'Insert' icon (where Syntax Highlighting lives) into all of the RTE sizes/formats.

4. We removed Comic Sans from the list of available fonts

5. We fixed a bug in 'view plain' for Chrome browsers where it was putting escaped character codes in the source (which you couldn't even see!)

2 people found this helpful
              Keeley Sorokti

Jeff Maaks - Thanks for starting this discussion. I'm working on launching a Jive-x community for developers, data analysts and IT administrators. We'll go live in early 2016. I'm definitely up for a "birds of a feather" discussion and a breakout at JiveWorld.

• Do you use Jive as the main hub of your developer community?  Or are there good reasons to have a separate developer.company.com website with Jive focused on just the discussion board / collaboration features?
                • We'll use Jive as our main hub for developers. We are keeping it simple initially with one space where anyone in the community asks technical questions and shares ideas. Most of the people in the community will be developers and administrators.
              • How do you use spaces versus groups for organizing your content when you have a large number of products / APIs?
                • We are launching only with spaces and are going to try it with one space initially to mimic our current simple Q&A forum that we are migrating. This may change over time as the community grows.
              • How do you incent your internal developers to spend time in your external community?  Especially when their managers have set aggressive coding deadlines...and they just don't have time.  What about your professional services teams?  These folks are the practitioners that likely have very strong experiences to share, but due to billable utilization targets they often don't have the luxury of time to answer questions or write blogs.
                • I am currently working on this very issue. I'm working on gathering a small group of leaders from various technical departments in the company to figure out the best ways to have an external presence in the community so that it is a shared responsibility. I'm working on language for job descriptions and performance goals related to answering questions and engaging in the external community. Would be very interested in discussing this to find out how others handle this.
              1 person found this helpful
                scottwdennis

My response to this post ran a little long so I put it in a separate blog post to hopefully keep the footprint on this thread more manageable:

How does development happen in your community?