10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2016 8:28 AM by sameer_v

How can I disable the file upload feature?

mfulton

Currently, I have the issue in my community that users are uploading files as documents instead of attaching files to discussion threads (using the advanced editor).

I wish to disable the ability to upload files as documents - as in disable the following menu option:

2016-01-07_10-22-09.jpg

Jive 7.0 documentation (Jive 7.0 Community Admin Documentation) mentions this can be done using the 'System --> Settings --> Documents' shortcut, but I do not see this visible in the admin console of my cloud instance:

2016-01-07_10-21-05.jpg

There is also no option to disable this content type by space.

How can I disable the ability to upload files?

Thanks,

Mark

• Re: How can I disable the file upload feature?

Hi Mark - have you tried changing the permissions to stop users from uploading files? 

The benefit of using permissions:

• Regular users can be set to not be able to upload files
          • Admin users can still upload files.
              mfulton

Curtis,

Thank you for the response. That sounds like it could work. Can you point me in the direction of documentation to remove user emissions to upload files?

Can this also be done at the user group level?

Thanks,

Mark

Across spaces you can modify the regular-user permission and remove uploading files or creating documents.

• Admin > Permissions > Default Space Permissions > modify the registered user permissions with a custom set that doesn't allow creation, only reading/commenting/rating.

Groups:

• Upon initial creation you can just turn off documents.
                  • For a jive-x community I would also limit who can create these groups so that the documents are not turned on by default.  I usually suggest some central place where users request groups if this is the case.
                      mfulton

Curtis,

Thanks for the response. I don't want to turn off both Document and File Uploads, just File Uploads as in the original screenshot. Is this possible? If not, is there an RFE open for this request with development?

Thanks,

Mark

Hey Mark,

Sorry about the delay, was at our Israel office.

So do I understand correctly that you want all users to be able to create discussions and documents, but not upload files? 

Or are you trying to create a place that allows for documents (for admins) and discussions (for regular users) with the focus on regular users leveraging attachments within discussions?

The issue with turning off uploaded files... it is a global setting.  So it turns off for the entire site, and that could impact new features like image galleries 2016.1 Deep Dive: Content

mfulton

Hey Curtis,

Thanks for the follow up. See responses in-line:

So do I understand correctly that you want all users to be able to create discussions and documents, but not upload files?

Or are you trying to create a place that allows for documents (for admins) and discussions (for regular users) with the focus on regular users leveraging attachments within discussions?

The first statement is correct - I don't want users uploading files as standalone content items in our spaces. Files are used contextually within discussions or documents on our community (uploaded to the discussion/document via the advanced editor).

The issue with turning off uploaded files... it is a global setting.  So it turns off for the entire site, and that could impact new features like image galleries 2016.1 Deep Dive: Content

That's fine, we have no use case for image galleries. How can I globally disable uploading files directly to all spaces, without disabling document creation?

Thanks,

Mark

sameer_v

Hi Mark,

Uploaded File content type can be disabled by:

System > Settings > Documents >> General Settings

Enable uploaded documents:  select No

Hope this helps.