9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 3:03 PM by ghartnett

On-premise apps for Jive 8.0?

ghartnett

Hi All:

Does anyone know if Jive 8.0 on-premise will support third party apps? I thought I saw somewhere that apps are being deprecated but I can't find it again now.

Thanks,

/ger.

• Re: On-premise apps for Jive 8.0?
          Scott A Johnson

It may be that the Jive Apps Marketplace is being deprecated (to some extent), but Apps are also deployable as part of Add-ons. Depending on the App you're looking for, the provider may have already released the App as an Add-on.

2 people found this helpful
              ghartnett

Thanks for your reply Scott. I am a "provider" of an app. What to I need to do to release the app as an add-on? Can the add-on be deployed by a customer to run on-premise with a Jive 8 on-premise instance?

ghartnett

Daire McCann no personal content is allowed in this Jive instance. Let me know if you see this action (in Jive).

Click on this from Jive to go to the Goshido action

Scott A Johnson

As far as I know, you can deploy add-ons to on-prem as long as the add-on server is publicly accessible or at least accessible by the Jive server itself.

Building the App into an Add-on should hopefully be fairly simple, but saying that, I haven't built an App without using an Add-on, so I dont know if the structure has changed at all. Check out the links below, hopefully they're helpful.

What are Add-ons?

Getting Started > Building a Jive Add-On

I'm also not sure about wide scale distribution. I've only looked into deploying to specific Jive instances.

pawans

If its a jive hosted app / add-on, then it will be easy to distribute.

Jive had introduced  hosted apps concept in cloud release 8c4.

If you have an on-prem/hosted version equivalent of cloud 8c4, then it would be easy to distribute apps.

ghartnett

Thanks Scott, Pawan and Yuval. It sounds like we can wrap an app (that worked with Jive 6) in an add-on and integrate an on-prem version of the app with an on-prem/hosted Jive instance (equivalent of cloud 8c4 or later).

pawans

Hi Ger Hartnett,

One thing to mention. This would be a easy process if your app is pure client side (and you are on 8c4 equivalent).

If you do have a service component, you can utilize jive connects, where you can have an independent on-prem service or some third party service configured with the on-prem jive instance and then call it from your app.

The second bit does not require 8c4 and does work for versions below.

Depends on if you are planning to utilize any external system, either custom or product.

ghartnett

Thanks for the clarification Pawan. Just in case we're using slightly different terminology, I'd like to say back to you what we have and you can let me know if this works. If not, let me know what we'd need to do.

- We have an existing Jive app that worked with 4.5.1 and 6.0 and was in the apps marketplace

- This Jive app works with an independent service that still seems to work with 8.0 cloud (given Jive developer community seems to be 8.0) and talks to our public cloud service.

- I thought Jive Connects was pre-Jive-app technology

- Our potential customer wants to deploy on-prem jive instance with our app and independent service on-prem

- In the past with another customer we had to do some workarounds to get on-prem Jive 4.5.1 to work with our independent service on-prem

I need to understand if anything happened between Jive 6 and Jive 8 to help or hinder what we want to do.

Kind Regards,

/ger.