8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 10:46 AM by Frank Field

Anyone else having issues with the Scout badge?

Frank Field

Seems a large number of members in my external community aren't getting the Scout badge. 

I noticed that there was some bug related to this in this thread from a couple of years ago, but it doesn't say whether that bug was resolved:  Jive Advanced Gamification Module: Action List , and I can't add a question to the tail of that long thread to find out.

So, before I start a case, I wonder if anyone else on Jive-x has noticed this?

BTW, when I manually "completed" the Scout mission for a member, I got a "server error."  So, I tried a few more times to no avail. Then, the user noticed that he not only had the badge, it had been completed seven times.  So, extra points for him! 

But now it's bugging me that the Scout mission seems wonky.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Frank

• Re: Anyone else having issues with the Scout badge?
          christina.keimig

The thing with the Scout mission is it is triggered by the FIRST EVER search. That messes things up for all pre-existing users, in my experience, which is why it's disabled in my instance. 

1 person found this helpful

I reported that bug about three years ago and looks like the fix to that trigger was never addressed (haven't seen it work since or heard that it was fixed). Are you finding that new members aren't getting the mission or just ones who likely already completed their first ever search before the mission was activated?

FYI, you can't add a question to that long thread because we shut down comments on that doc awhile back to encourage separate threads like this for specific questions

Frank Field

Megan Truett, I meant to tag you, as I did see you posted that (I "liked" it earlier today), in hopes that you'd know the answer. Thanks for the follow up.  Christina Keimig, I bet that is the situation in my community. We wiped the points out for the new year to "start over" on points/leaderboards, so perhaps that has something to do with it.  Thing is, I do want people to earn that badge as search is an important function on our community (and will become more and more important as content grows)...  Not sure if I should start a case or if there's some way I can do a mass reset so everyone can get that badge for doing search...  :-/

Wiping the points doesn't reset the triggers. For some reason that first search is a different trigger in Jive than any subsequent searches. Ideally, Bunchball should track the next search (after the mission is activated), but looking at the available actions, just the first one ever-ever-ever is tracked by the system. I don't know if they did this because Bunchball just didn't think it through or if general 'search' is just not available from Jive. Curtis Gross -- any insight on that?

Frank, does that make sense? Overall, the BB system doesn't track activity retroactively. For example, you can't get points for writing a document if it happened before the gamification was enabled. So if someone did a search of any kind before gamification, that ship has sailed. There is no second first-time