3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2016 2:24 PM by Jennifer Kelley

How do I create an open browse level of my community?

sharakarasic

Hi, I want users to be able to browse the community homepage and some parts of the community without logging in/registering. When they try to post, they will have to log in. How do I set that up?

Thanks,

Shara

• Re: How do I create an open browse level of my community?
          jkurutz

Hi Shara,

We've set up our external community with some public and some private areas. Technically, there's one big switch in the admin console (Jive Cloud for us): People > Settings > Guest Settings. There's a simple, but very influential, check box there for "Allow Guest".

There's actually a fair amount of permissions setting that you need to do before you enable that. Chiefly, you want to make sure your Spaces all have appropriate permissions for he group "Everyone" and "All Registered Users". To make a Space visible to the public but require them to register to interact, you'd set the "Everyone" permission for that Space to "View".

To get precision like this, we're not using Groups (social groups), but I think you'd set permissions for visibility and access in Admin Console > Permissions > Social Group Permissions. Someone else will have to weigh in to say something about how this affects Groups that are Open.

Be careful, though. Once you flip on the "best access" switch, there are a bunch of other parts of the community that become visible, and it's not documented well. See Are there more controls for Guest visibility? Unregistered guests can still see a lot on unintended information . For instance, when you enable guest access, anyone can see your list of users by navigating to (community name)/people. If some people use an email address as a username, this exposes their email address.

Good luck!

- Josh

Jennifer Kelley

Thanks Josh Kurutz for the detailed reply, you are spot on.  Shara, Jive-x is designed to make it easy for you to allow guest access to the home page and appropriate areas/content, largely tied to space permissions.  As Josh noted you will want to make sure your Space and other permissions are set up correctly before turning on Guest Access and possibly revisit your default profile settings.

Josh Kurutz wrote:

To get precision like this, we're not using Groups (social groups), but I think you'd set permissions for visibility and access in Admin Console > Permissions > Social Group Permissions. Someone else will have to weigh in to say something about how this affects Groups that are Open.

Open and "Members Only" Groups and the content therein are visible when you turn on Guest Access.  Private and Secret groups only to members who are invited and join those groups.  Regardless, to participate your users will be prompted to log in or register.

jkurutz

P.S. Our community is Welcome | Agilent Community  . We're just about to launch, but I may be changing some of the visibility settings to hide areas in which dialog is enabled.

1 person found this helpful