1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 28, 2016 8:37 AM by jesse.fuller

Space Notification Clarification

cwalton@lirs.org

Hello,

Currently, my Organization has an All Staff space that was setup by our previous Administrator. Whenever content is published in this space, every member of our Organization is notified via email of the recently posted content. This is exactly what we want to happen. From my understanding, no one should be able to unfollow this space or its notifications. The information posted here is intended for everyone to see and we do not want people to miss this information.

When I check the permissions for this space, there are two assigned groups; "All Registered Users" and an "All Staff Announcement."  The "All Staff Announcement" group has 12 members who were designated to post content within the All Staff space, but this group is pretty much unnecessary as EVERYONE is allowed to post within the All Staff space.

In an effort to document the set up of the All Staff space, I would like to know exactly which permission or setting enables all internals users to receive email notification every time something is published in the All Staff space? My initial thought was that until you restrict membership of a space that any content posted in a created space would be sent out to everyone. This theory was proven to be incorrect when I published a test post to another established space which also has "All Registered Users" as an assigned group. No one received email notification of my test post.

Also, are people able to unfollow this space or opt out of email notifications? HR wants to ensure that everyone is being notified of all content published within our All Staff space.

Sorry for the book and I hope this makes sense. I will clarify and elaborate further where needed.

Thank You!

-Chris

• Re: Space Notification Clarification

Hi Chris,

In an effort to document the set up of the All Staff space, I would like to know exactly which permission or setting enables all internals users to receive email notification every time something is published in the All Staff space?

This can depend on a user's specific user preferences which they have defined for themselves in their user menu >> preferences tab. For a user to receive an email notification 2 this will need to be in place.

1. The user will need to be following the space or content (so that an update is added to their Jive inbox)

2. The user will need to have their user preferences configured so that this action (an item being added to their Jive inbox) also triggers an email notification.

Additionally, some of this can be automated (depending on your Jive version) through the use of an auto-follow add-on Jive Auto-Follow Extension or the News feature (available in Jive 8 and Cloud) - Core Help - Customizing News

Also, are people able to unfollow this space or opt out of email notifications? HR wants to ensure that everyone is being notified of all content published within our All Staff space.

If this is being managed by a news stream or auto-follow add-on the user would not be able to "un-follow" the content and could receive email notifications, depending on how the feature was implemented in your instance

Thanks!