6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2016 8:30 AM by pbroadley

How do you convince to your employees the value of your new external community?

adina.schoeneman

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any best practices or tools to share on this topic. Currently developing a strategy to convince service teams the value of our online user group/community to actively recruit new members. When the community is in its beginning stages it is often challenging to convince the broader audience of the long term value of community with a limited number of specific examples

• Re: How do you convince to your employees the value of your new external community?
          Billy Volpone

As with any strategy (and that includes how we deploy to those external users), we should always start with the 'carrot' model regarding "what's in it for them". It shouldn't be so much about the technology itself, at least not at first, as much as the end goal we're attempting to solve and/or expand. I'll give you an example around Jive-n... if you told a sales team that we had created an "RFP Group" and that when they get an RFP they can simply upload it to a single space and everyone will jump in to help. You should quickly find LOTS of adoption for said group. In that case it's a pain point but in other cases it could be growing something good that's already there, like conversation ratios with prospects who then can more easily connect with experts and peers, which then helps them get more comfortable/knowledgeable and convert to one of your customers (maybe even an advocate). For the services team, it could be as simple as my first example, which is based in efficiency and time savings. You might need one or a few members of that team to show it in action first, but then everyone else will follow that already beaten path. Like with anything, start small and build upon little successes to multiply and then ideally expand the breath of those to larger needs/models.

Plenty more to discuss, it's a great question and something that too often gets overlooked. I hope to hear from others on this.

2 people found this helpful
          • Re: How do you convince to your employees the value of your new external community?
            Kathryn

Also, for those of you coming to JiveWorld16, there will be a session devoted to this by those who have done it.  They include ddefreitas, Peter Broadley and Mark Chadwick.  Here's a link to the session:  The Customer-Centric Organization | JiveWorld Session.  In it we'll talk about how to bring outside in, and we've got some great best practices to share and great stories from Spredfast and CSA.  Highly recommend it! 

ddefreitas

Thanks for the shout out Kathryn Everest .  I will definitely touch on a few use cases we started with externally and how we got our employees engaged. 

I agree with what is said above. For me, the basics are:

1) find a compelling use case and start there.  It should solve an existing pain point or provide a new benefit to the intended audience.

2) work with advocates internally & externally to seed content and show how it can/should be done

3) celebrate the wins to showcase the possibilities

1 person found this helpful
                  pbroadley

Thanks Kathryn! I definitely agree that sharing the good news stories is a must. We had some major developments this week and the influx of member activity and discussion really got staff motivated. One of our staff helped to arrange an interview with a national news outlet which linked back to our community and brought in more new members. Others are seeing the results from this effort and are thinking about how they can do the same for their programs - but they had to see how it all came together first.

1 person found this helpful