I've done something similar in the past, but it might be a bit more complicated these days given all the extra systems. Unfortunately, the APIs are not going to give you an efficient route to update this information given the nature of your request.
If it were me (and this is something I would test a few times to gauge success):
- Bring down Jive App Servers
- Get a list of all tagnames in SchemaSpy - Table dba800.public.jivetag
- then review its uses in tables like: SchemaSpy - Table dba800.public.jiveobjecttag or SchemaSpy - Table dba800.public.jiveexpertisetag , etc...
- You can merge down/delete or do whatever you need to to jiveTag ... and update IDs accordingly in the related tables maintaining relationships.
- Bring up Jive app Servers
- Kick off a full Content Re-Index ...
Only gotchas will be references in documents like developer documentation this one where there will be a reference to the tag id in content...which would require you to go through the various content-type tables to search for references...which will be cumbersome. =\
hope this helps, but again...please work with your support team closely on this ... as some of these steps may have support implications depending on your support agreement.
Is there an API to update an expertise tag?
Yes, I think answered this on another thread recently.
See: Create/Destroy/Update Expertise Tag on this page. Note: That changes to a person's expertise need to be approved by the "endorsee" before they will appear on their profile. I'm pretty sure this holds true even if the "endorser" is a full admin.