5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2016 9:13 AM by John Schwiller

What is the Best way of Migrating Themes,Plugins from Stage to Production

raju@italentcorp.com

Hi Team,

We have one Hosted Community Having Stage and Production Environments.When we made some changes in themes(Ex: added some text in theme/soy/nav/satelliteNav.soy) what is the best way of replicating the same thing in production.

One approach we know is taking zip file from stage and upload it to the Production.What is the best approach other than this.Provide some usefull documentation that would really helpfull.

Thank you,

Narsi.

• Re: What is the Best way of Migrating Themes,Plugins from Stage to Production
          John Schwiller

I think it depends on how good your change control is, the magnitude of the changes, and how many coders you have working at the same time and their ability to follow whatever process you put in place.

I've certainly done small manual changes directly line by line in the template on Production - but always recorded a change log in the template with who made the change, the date, what was changed. For example (here two coders [JDNS - me & AC] worked on the changes):

/**

* Change History

* ID   Date     Change

* AC   15/10/13 Use xxx.jiveURL for login and create-account.

* JDNS 18/10/13 Change create-account to RegisterOnly. 

* JDNS 20/10/13 Space after login.

* JDNS 21/10/13 Welcome, Guest, Login & Register using i18n.

*/

If this process is followed then you ought to be able to see if someone made a change to Staging which was not transferred later to PROD. you could even use a version number for the template in the change log.

Then if there are too many changes to make, or you want to be sure that the PROD template is identical to the Staging template you could paste the whole template code from Staging to PROD. You might choose to do that 'whole paste' weekly, or when you worry that you made a number of changes and forgot to port one or more across to PROD.

Then as you say, you can replace the whole zip.

1 person found this helpful
              raju@italentcorp.com

Hi John Schwiller,

Thank you so much for your inputs. In  the Above comment you explained about "whole paste weekly" can please elaborate it,because we would like to follow that approach.

Thank you,

Narsi

John Schwiller

Hi Narsi

What I meant was to open the particular template on Staging (say satelliteNav.soy), select all the code (CTRL-A, CTRL-C) then open the same template on PROD, select all the code and paste (CTRL-A, CTRL-V). That way you refresh the template on PROD with an exact copy.

Of course this relies on the fact that you know which template(s) you touched on Staging. If your change records dont tell you that, for example coders have 'dived in all over the place', then replacing the whole theme zip is the best solution. 

raju@italentcorp.com

Hi  John Schwiller,

Based on all your inputs I can say that

1)If we modify the code in all over the theme then moving the whole theme into the PROD is the best solution.

2)If we modify the code in particular file then 'Whole Paste' is the best solution.

3)If number of developers are working on same theme then log maintenance is the best solution.

Please answer below question also

Is there any dynamic process to do migration?Because for each and every time theme copying and uploading to the PROD might not be the feasible solution,Please correct me if i am wrong

Thank you,

Narsi.

John Schwiller

Re your points 1, 2 and 3. Broadly yes. However I would expect your coder(s) to use the most appropriate technique based on how many changes they have made, the impact of those changes, the frequency of the changes and how many coders are working in parallel.

I don't think you can be prescriptive, but rather you give them some guidelines and set them the objective that they test whatever they are doing and then at some point, based on the impact of the change/fix and your SLA, they get that change/fix deployed to PROD.

And I have used the log to record what and when I've changed things even when I've been working on my own - but that's how I work. It's a way of mistake-proofing what you do in case you forget.

Finally on your last question, I'd ask Ryan Rutan to comment on this and the earlier questions. I also hadn't noticed which group you had posted in but you might think about moving this thread to Jive Developers  where you might get more feedback.