2 people found this helpful
Unfortunately there is not "built in" way to make the change that you are looking for.
But it isn't terribly painful (unless you have a very, very large, very complicated space).
Assuming you are on cloud you can take advantage of the "Bulk management" feature Jive recently introduced.
An overview of the process looks like:
1. Create the new Group (You can create it as "Private" or "Secret" so that you can work behind the scenes if you want to).
2. Create all of the same categories in the new group that exist in the old group. If you don't have this one-to-one match up then you will have problems when you get to the copy/move stage.
3. Copy or Move the data from the old space to the new group
- Why would you use "Move" - if you can work "in the open" you can simply move the information from the old space to the new group. Categories will automatically be assigned in the new group according to the organization in the old space. The nice thing about using "Move" is the content "disappears" from the old space as you move it. When the content is all gone - you are done.
- Why would you use "Copy" - Two reasons - you need to set up the new space without everybody breathing over your shoulder and/or you want to do some serious reorganization before you open the new group for you. In this case you copy everything across. Now you reorganize, add/drop categories, tag, whatever.
4. Finally - change your landing or activity page on the old space to a road sign that points to the new group and change the new group to the correct security settings.
That's brilliant - thank you!
I'm actually facing the same problem as Jessica did. I followed your instructions. But when it comes to copying the space data I failed. There is no copy option in the bulk managment feature. I can only delete or move data. Do you have any advice for this?
Hi Patricia, the copy function is only available on a content-by-content basis - not in the bulk management function.
However, you could also just keep the space and open the permissions up as to have the same functionality as an open group would have - give All Registered Users "create" access and just keep a couple of admins of the space and it's not very different than a group.
1 person found this helpful
Thanks a lot! Actually it is not meant to be an open space. It is only used by HR. So only a certain number of people shall have access. Originally they wanted to have it as a space as it is more an information platform. The only problem is that in a space they cannot manage their members themselves. They cannont invite new people etc. They always have to ask us to add new people or change permission of someone, which on the long run is not practicable for both sides. Therefore I would like to change the space into a group so that they can manage their members themselves. Maybe there is a better solution than changing the space into a group? Or a better way?
All the best,
1 person found this helpful
You can give them permission to manage their own user permission group in the admin console (by making them a permission group admin) if you'd like and think they would be willing to do that. Or it may just be easier to move all their content into a private or unlisted group with the bulk move function - depending on how much content there is and how many users would then need to become members of the group (they will need to invite all the HR people into the group and then have them accept).