6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2016 7:02 AM by Ryan Rutan

Jive Cloud as SAML IdP?

rbric

All, we're looking at a SaaS product to manage some internal functions which is capable of using SAML 2.0 to authenticate users. I know Jive can use an existing IdP as a consumer, but is the reverse also true? Can Jive be a SAML IdP? Or somehow, can this other SaaS product redirect users to Jive to log in using Jive credentials? If this would require some custom development, wondering where to start.

Thanks,

Rob

• Re: Jive Cloud as SAML IdP?
          rbric

Bump!

jlevi

Not speaking as an expert here but Jive is not an IDP and cannot be used as one.  Jive supports SAML  as an integration point but does not provide any features or support for the standard for its own user store that you would want from an IDP.

rbric

Thanks Joey. Would there possibly be a way to develop a Jive app that utilizes the API for checking user validity, then takes care of the SAML exchange?

jlevi

I think doing that would take more effort and money than choosing a true IDP.  Jive doesn't give you enough controls over the lifecycle of a user account like managing passwords (yes, we have some options for complexity of password but nothing that forces users to change passwords and nothing to provide checks against historic passwords).  You would basically be building a SAML IDP from scratch and simply using Jive as a way to store user profiles.  No one at Jive would recommend this approach. I think there are too many bits (this is why I don't claim to be an expert!) missing from Jive to provide this service.

1 person found this helpful
                      Ryan Rutan

To echo what Joey is saying.  Jive has many services which could allow you to build up a SAML2 style interface if you so wanted; however, in terms of completeness, you would be much better off at getting a SAML2 based IDP and connecting Jive to it, than the other way around.

1 person found this helpful
                    rbric

That is helpful. Thank you