6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 7:48 AM by cmandel

What are your use cases form LMS Integration?

awooler

Let's capture the use cases for LMS integrations that you would like to see!

• Re: What are your use cases form LMS Integration?
          awooler

My initial use cases are:

1. Learning catalog search

2. Display my current enrolments

3. Display my transcript - both completed and in progress

4. Display my Certification status

awooler

Here is the use case that Jive are working on for the LMS integration:

The use case involves synching course title, description and other information from the LMS, and listing it in Jive places as Tiles. The tiles will be configurable and can feature course infromation per different search criteria (e.g. by tags, course type etc.).

The idea is that discovery and navigation will happen in Jive, and course consumption and administration will happen in the LMS.

Below are some sample mockups of such tiles (not guarantied to look or feature same capabilities when implemented) .

April Jacobs

Hi Andy, I think this is a great start. For the enterprise use cases, I think this must go deeper to be valuable to the L&D organization, so as to provide clickable course registration and completion tracking. Additionally, we'd like to be able to create actual learning content on Jive, and allow the learner to navigate native course content and get credit for social participation. These activities should also be trackable within the LMS if desired by the L&D professional.

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for? I hope this gets some real traction as it is hard to sell social in the corp training world when nothing can be measured. And L&D orgs are uniquely positioned to bring large audiences to the platform.

1 person found this helpful
                    awooler

Hi April,

I have been thinking about the tracking of content within Jive too and came to the conclusion that using xAPI (Tin Can) could be a good solution for this as long as your LMS is xAPI enabled with an LRS (Learning record Store).

Our friends at Pokeshot///SMZ do have an api for this for Jive so that may be worth exploring.

The clickable course registration is part of my use case for Catalog Search - users need to be able to click on an item and register immediately - this is possible in CSOD using their web service (which we will be exploring when we move to that in August) and we already use this currently in our Saba LMS where we surface a search tool in our .com site.

Thanks for getting back so quickly - this all helps with the discusssions I will be having later in the week.

cmandel

Hi Andy,

Thanks for sharing this, I think it is a well thought-out approach and will be valuable to us as we plan out our external Customer LMS and Customer Community.

Will these widgets be built for integration with a specific LMS in mind, or will it be open for use with any LMS that supports the appropriate APIs?

We are also focussed on multi-tenancy, as customers will only have access to courses assigned to their company or role. It will be very important for the catalog to only display the list of courses that the user would see if they log into the LMS, and not the generic list of all courses available in the system.

We are thinking about ways to also suggest training, similar to how Amazon would suggest products based on your views or purchase. We don't have the vision fully flushed out yet, but that would be a great tile to include in the list.

We are very excited that you and others are talking about this, and that Jive is considering working towards including some functionality in the base product!

Please let us know however we can help.

awooler

Many useful use cases in our document from last year here: Jive Learning Group - Learning & Development Use Cases - Google Docs

1 person found this helpful