3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2016 1:59 PM by jeph.yang

Creating and Using Project Templates

jerry.canaday

We are running a POC with Jive and one thing we are struggling with is the ability to create and use project templates.  I assume the function of 'save as new template' when you are on a project saves it somewhere.  Just not sure where to go to find my saved template and how to actually use it when creating a new project.  Also I am assuming that the template will save the overview and activity pages with the configuration, tiles, etc.  Just trying to get more details on this so we can clearly communicate it to our POC users.  Thanks.

• Re: Creating and Using Project Templates

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for raising this question on saving and retrieving project templates.  I believe the following documentation should apply to your question:

https://docs.jivesoftware.com/cloud_int/comm_mgr/jive.help.core/#user/CreatingaPlaceTemplate.html

As noted:

A template saves the type, order, and layout of tiles for a place. It does not save the configuration of those tiles.

In order to apply the template to other places, you'll need to edit the place and click on "Browse templates" at the top left.  From here, you should have a "My templates" list or you may navigate to the template category you had previously selected while saving the new community template, and then select and apply this to your new place.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you had any other questions on this.

Regards,

Jeph Yang

jerry.canaday

Jeph Yang - Thanks for the response.  Just to confirm if you had a project with an Overview and Activity Page and we configured the widgets and tiles that we wanted on both pages in certain slots (not putting content into them) then the expectations is when we reused that template on both the Overview and Activity pages those tiles will be present in the locations that we placed them when we saved as template?  Also if we created categories that would be used for every project that WOULD NOT be saved as part of the template and we would need to manually recreate that for every project site...correct?

Thanks

Hi Jerry,

Please find my response below:

Just to confirm if you had a project with an Overview and Activity Page and we configured the widgets and tiles that we wanted on both pages in certain slots (not putting content into them) then the expectations is when we reused that template on both the Overview and Activity pages those tiles will be present in the locations that we placed them when we saved as template?

A place templates saves the place type, order, and layout of tiles for a place, but is only available for Activity pages, not Overview pages.  This has to do with the code level differences between the two and also with the UI differences as explained under Overview vs. Activity Page here:

Sneak Peek: Deep Dive for Place Pages (beta)

For Overview pages, you have the option of copying from one place to another using the "Copy" button.

Also if we created categories that would be used for every project that WOULD NOT be saved as part of the template and we would need to manually recreate that for every project site...correct?

Place categories are managed a bit differently as covered here:

https://docs.jivesoftware.com/cloud_int/comm_mgr/jive.help.core/#admin/ManagingPlaceCategories.html

But you are correct; this needs to be set for each place.

Let me now if you had any other questions on this.

Regards,

Jeph Yang