12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 2:30 PM by radelgado

what are your experiences when it comes to moderation?

radelgado

My agency is looking into Moderation. Currently we plan on having one moderator for each region (5 in all) in our Agency State-wide. is this a good idea, or do you have other ways that it would work out? I am looking for more options to discuss within our Governance meetings.

any help would be great!

• Re: what are your experiences when it comes to moderation?
          Dennis Pearce

I can see where moderation might be important for external communities, but as an internal community we try to do as little as possible because it always seems to gum up the works and slow things down.  There is no across-the-board moderation and while some space owners do it at their level, it's probably way less than 1%.  I guess it depends on the kind of culture you have and if you know in advance that you are going to need it.  But I have tried in our environment to take the approach that, absent any hard data, it works better to assume the best in people and let them prove that they are worse than you thought rather than assuming the worst in people, because the rules put in place may make it such that they never get a chance to prove they are actually better than you thought.

I had to delete a comment at the request of HR a couple of weeks ago, and it''s the first time ever I have had to do that since we went live in 2012.  I would hate to think that I might have spent four years moderating thousands of posts just to stop one bad one from happening. 

Just my opinion, but when bad things happen infrequently I think it's better to handle them on an exception basis than to try to create rules for every conceivable situation that will then impact all employees forever.  My advice would be that unless you already understand your culture well enough to know in advance that it needs moderation, give the community a chance to prove its maturity and professionalism and let its behavior over time tell you what rules you need.

1 person found this helpful
              radelgado

My agency, well we are a part of the state government, so when our legal team heard of how social media-esque Jive was going to be they all became red-faced until i mentioned there was a moderation system in place. so since we deal with delicate information, moderation of all documentation, posts, etc. would almost be mandatory. I have explained the nuances of the system, as if there is more than one moderator to a space that they would both have to agree before something is posted, not to mention that moderators would work 9-5 while stuff can be posted 24/7,so it would actually create more headaches than relief in my opinion.

I am new to the Agency, so i do not know much about the inner workings, as Jive has been my only goal since i started. everyone seems to focus on the negative though during our governance meetings.

gbrettmiller

We too have had some people raise concerns because of the "social medianess" of Jive, even though all of the activity happens behind the enterprise firewall. (fwiw, we operate in the Federal Gov't, so I know what you're going through.)

In many ways (though not all), the content that will flow through Jive is not much different from that which flows through email. And, assuming that you don't allow anonymous accounts, all content and activity is as attributable in Jive as in email. So I will (sometimes) respond to a request for moderation with a variation on, "Who moderates email?"

Like email, which is "moderated in arrears", the best approach (imo) is to have your community managers to monitor - not moderate - the activity and content in the community. As part of governance plan you may also want to educate the community members about how to report things they think are inappropriate, either through the Report Abuse function or by reaching out directly to the person who posted the content. It is amazing how well peer pressure can work.

I can also empathize with the "focus on the negative". We have found that overtime this negativity has faded as people have used the system and become comfortable and familiar with using it.

Dennis Pearce

I couldn't agree more.  We try to make sure that our governance policies are tied to behavior, not technology.  We have an Employee Code of Conduct that each of us must sign every year.  Inappropriate behavior is inappropriate behavior, whether in Jive, in email, on the phone or at the physical water cooler.  The delivery system shouldn't be penalized for the messages created. 

My director likes to use the example that if you meet over lunch in the cafeteria and accidentally leave some confidential information on the table when you're done, that's not grounds for creating a search checkpoint that everyone has to go through before they can eat. 

2 people found this helpful
                        triplettt

I'm with you G. Brett Miller.  We have the same set up and concerns.  We control content via policy, same as email.  We do not moderate all content, but instead rely on users to "police" and use the Report Abuse feature to immediately remove any content they think is inappropriate.  Those items are then vetted and appropriate action taken. 

We have also limited permissions to only allow users to post in a place ... nothing can be posted by users to The Entire Community.  This allows free-flow of information using the visibility controls of the places where they are allowed to post.

Megan Truett

Will you be moderating all content before it's posted or in arrears?

radelgado

The plan of action here is to have at least one dedicated person moderating content for EACH space within all 5 regions of our Agency. I've mentioned that this is plausible but only with a dedicated staff, like myself, and that is where i get some static; they want all this moderation stuff but the added workload would be too much for an administrative assistant, and the hiring of interns (my idea) is out of the question, so i am kinda...stuck. This is why i wanted to see how others were handling it.

radelgado

I want to thank you G. Brett Miller, Dennis Pearce and tammy_triplett for your contributions to this question of mine. It really helps out to see that I am not the only one who thinks that Jive can work with limited moderation rather than the headache of a full-blown team of moderators. I just hope i can convince the Governance board on Friday with the suggestions that i have here.