7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 6:03 AM by scottshive

Who is using Jive for corporate/employee communications?

katherine.lulkiewicz

All,

I'm interested in learning who is using Jive for corporate communications/employee communication needs.  Would appreciate any feedback around:

• What communication pain does Jive help you solve?
      • How do you track/measure employee communications & engagement (in and outside of Jive)?
        • What metrics do you capture and report?
      • What product enhancements around corporate communications would be helpful?

Thanks in advance!

• Re: Who is using Jive for corporate/employee communications?
          scottshive

Hi, Katherine Evans. My colleague ldoctrow and I are the primary employee comms at Lexmark. Our Jive instance, called Innovate, is our primary vehicle for comms. (FYI, we are on the cloud.) Answers to your questions below in bold.

• What communication pain does Jive help you solve?
            • Jive provides an easy tool for pushing communications to our 14,000 worldwide employees. For that reason alone, we love it. Innovate is entrenched in our culture as the go-to source for company news and features, so employees know to look for information there. (We use other channels, too, especially email on very important, big news, but Innovate is by far our primary condiut for day-to communications.) We like that it quickly and easily opens a dialogue with employees for two-way comms and it democratizes the conversation between C-suite execs and individual contributors.
          • How do you track/measure employee communications & engagement (in and outside of Jive)? What metrics do you capture and report?
            • This is a particular problem that I'd like Jive to solve. We have developed a culture here of using blog posts, not documents, as the type of content we use for employee communications. However, blog posts don't have the same visibility for impact metrics. For instance, with documents, anyone who can edit the document can see the impact metrics. Awesome! But with blog posts, only the author can see the metrics; the only way around that is to open the metrics to the public, which is not preferable and requires an added step. We would love for blog posts and documents to be treated identically in that regard, so that without additional steps, our entire communications team could see metrics for posts from anyone on the team. From my non-techy mind, it seems like an easy fix; I'm probably wrong in that regard. I have posted about this before:
          • What product enhancements around corporate communications would be helpful?
            • Off the top of my head ...
              • We REALLY need Jive to provide a better way of displaying galleries of photos. The photo albums app is not very useful because it doesn't allow captions, doesn't allow a direct link to an album and doesn't offer much flexibility.
          1 person found this helpful
              katherine.lulkiewicz

Scott Shive - fantastic feedback, and thanks for being the first to comment!  Other than views/likes/comments/sentiment - how are you measuring employee engagement?  I'm specificaly curious about what metrics you use to gauge employee engagement. 

Udit Shah - can you please provide feedback on blog analytics.  Is this something we're looking at?  Any additional items on the roadmap that would help, especially given that many companies use blogs in the same fashion as Scott described?

Jeremy Grant - I know the Product team has a focus on enhancing photo albums, can you share any details?

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the reach out. While, we don't have an active work on the Impact metrics at this time, we have been discussing , internally, how we can enhance it to make to provide more insights. This discussion include the option to enable impact metrics to additional content items. During these discussions we will look to enhance the Blog Impact metric to be accessible to anyone who has access to the blog.

Thank you again for the reach out and feedback.

Regards,

Udit

Dennis Pearce

Hi Udit,

I'm wondering if you have considered any of these ideas as ways to improve impact metrics?

1. Some kind of aggregate impact metrics for a blog as a whole, not just individual blog posts
                      2. Ability to compare multiple items, similar to what was shown as coming soon at JiveWorld for comparing personal metrics between two people.  This might mean comparing two blog posts or two blogs or documents, but it might also mean comparing similar places such as two development projects or two sales territory groups.
                      3. It seems like when comparing, users might sometimes want to compare content such as blog posts or documents based on calendar date but sometimes based on days since publication.  It would be nice to be able to toggle between the two types of x-axis.
                      4. I think there is an untapped gold mine of data buried within discussions.  It would be nice to see metrics such as average responses per discussion, average participants per discussion, average active life of a discussion, etc.  And if all this could be on a per-place basis and could be compared place vs. place ... oh, and can we have it by May?

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for the feedback. The personal insights page is the first take at providing an aggregated view of data. The obvious extension of this could be the ability to compare individual blogs. As a first step we want to enable personal insights . After which we want to see how we can enhance the personal insights page to allow users to slice and dice data to get insights on their content.

We have also explored the possibility of adding filters to the Personal Insights page, which may provide greater diversity to analyze your entire blog. After we are past filters  we may explore the possibility of comparing blogs.

Regards,

Udit

2 people found this helpful
                        scottshive

I must admit that our approach is more of an art than a science. We look at the metrics Jive provides, particularly views and viewers, but we take a more holistic perspective by looking at comments and anecdotal evidence. We don't find Jive's Sentiment or Global Reach metrics to be very helpful at all, mostly because they don't seem to change much from one piece of content to the next.

Dennis Pearce

Scott Shive wrote:

We have developed a culture here of using blog posts, not documents, as the type of content we use for employee communications.

Katherine, just to add a little to what Scott said, I've mentioned this elsewhere on the JC but will reiterate here that we use blog posts pretty much exclusively for any communications going into subscription news streams because (1) the only two options for news feed sources are blogs and places, and there's less risk of accidental posting from a blog as opposed to a place, where other content might be created that wasn't intended for the feed; and (2) blog posts get posted to the feed when published, giving you time to edit them and set them on a schedule, whereas other content gets posted when created.  So now we're even asking our executives who post videos to embed them in blog posts when they want them in the news feed, because it's more controllable that way.