4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2016 12:35 PM by rnicg

Folders and navigation confusion for my end users

mia.crampton@icann.org

The speakers in this session Design @ Jive: Evolving to Meet the Needs of Every User hit the nail on the head when they observed how users work. Folders, folders everywhere!! And people just want to know / the real problem is: "where's my stuff?"

I'm using Jive-n cloud for my employees (internal community) and we're still fairly new (rolled out in Feb 2016).  The number one hurdle I have to overcome is the hierarchy/navigation issue.  People expect the categories on the left hand side of Spaces / Groups to act as a left hand nav. They are frustrated when I tell them they can't have sub-folders (i.e information hierarchy within their Space or Group) and that we must promote key content through many helpful widgets or tiles instead.  Also, where someone expressed a need to go deeper / sub-folders in a category, I've suggested to create a Group instead as they clearly need more flexibility/pages.

We moved from a Confluence wiki that had a very deep content structure to now a flat Jive / social one and this is confusing to our audience. So the problem is "where's my stuff."

My questions- What can I do to better organize content within a Group or Space (aside from widgets/tiles / calls to action?) All i need is from a Space or Group to go 1-3 layers deep, max. Here's what I think my options are. Please chime in if you know of other ways to help address this problem!

• Left hand nav or second level- Is it technically possible in a Cloud instance to have a  top hand nav to help guide people a bit more? I've seen some other communities use this. Would you recommend it? Does this help with the problem?
        • I already have a 'My Groups' quick link in the nav to take users to the groups they are in. Is there something we could link to to show a one-stop-shop of ALL content/groups/spaces etc one is involved in? 
      • Sub spaces or Groups? If people need to go deeper, should we advise sub spaces or Groups? And i don't want the sub spaces to get unwieldy...
      • Tiles + Pages- I could educate people on how to use the extra pages for organizing content better, but it still requires understanding that you won't have sub folders/categories and a traditional information hierarchy.

Welcome your thoughts and input! I'm sure we're not the only one struggling with this...and would love to know what everyone is doing.

cc Edman Perez bedwards83

• Re: Folders and navigation confusion for my end users
          gbrettmiller

We get this question a lot, too, mostly from people who want to move to our Jive community from SharePoint. A couple of approaches we take to help them make the transition. (with varying levels of success :-)

• Jive is based on connections and not hierarchies. This applies to content in addition to people. For content, you use tags (and categories) to indicate relationships between pieces of content instead of nested folders as a way to "file" them.
          • This applies at the place level as well as individual content. Many people new to our community think they need spaces and sub-spaces because they need to maintain a hierarchical structure of the organization, etc. But, like people and content, it is much more flexible and ultimately powerful to connect the places via tags and other mechanisms based on actual content and needs of the users instead of trying to pre-sort them into structures that may or may not meet the needs of your community members.
          • When you look at content and places in this way, especially coming from SharePoint, it is sometimes also challenging for us to get across the idea that pages - and tiles and widgets - are simply viewers into the content, and not the actual containers of the content. So you aren't really "organizing the content" when you use tiles and widgets, but controlling what is displayed and how it is displayed.

It is, as we tell our community members, the difference between thinking in bits and thinking in atoms. I've got a blog post on this topic in our community, I'll see if I can "sanitize" it so I can post it here in the hopes that it will be of use.

4 people found this helpful
              achiu

Ah yes, creating sub-folders - one of my favorite questions.  We only have one level of folders in Jive and here are two methods of coping so to speak that I have passed on to my users.

• Tagging content is a great way to create sub-topics.  After the content has been tagged, I go to Content, search for that tag and copy the url at the top. Add a formatted text to the overview page and list the categories with the subfolders and hyperlink to their respective "subfolders" or tags that have been created.
                • Below, is an example.  The folders are Provider, Nurse and Other Clinical individuals and the "sub folders" or tagged content (search results) is for the specialty areas. 

• Another user was frustrated that they had to upload a bunch of content to go along with their meeting minutes, and the Meeting Minutes folder was congested with related material, but you couldn't tell which content belonged with which meeting.  I had them start a discussion, paste the agenda in the discussion and attached the meeting materials to the discussion. 
                • This only works if the meeting materials are purely for reference and no one wants to edit them or collaborate around them.

Hope this helps.  Thanks.

2 people found this helpful
              wallyrogers

We use Categories as our folders. It largely solved our folder problem for many spaces (except you cannot drill down to subfolders).  Sometimes we even rename the category widget to Folders because folks understand it better.  In other cases, we use subspaces if the topic is large enough to be the drill down and then setup categories (folders) of the content at that level.  The same piece of content can be tagged to be in more than one category (unlike the traditional folder system where you have to make copies of the content) - a very nice feature.

JiveFolders.png