7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2016 8:12 AM by tshort Branched to a new case.

Is there a way to show content in a category within a Tile?

tmaurer

I know there is a Category Tile, but assume that works the same way the Category Widget works - showing the list of categories. I just got a request to be able to show all of the content that is within a category. Yes, you can sort of do this with the Tag tile, but as this person (rightly) said, it is easier to get people to mark a checkbox for a category than to get them to add a unique tag. The issues she has is that if the tag is not unique, then the Tag tile pulls in content from across  the entire instance. And if she uses a unique tag, people misspell or add spacing or underscores, each of which keep it from working correctly.

While I know I can create an idea to suggest this to Jive, I'm wondering if anyone has any creative ways of accomplishing this NOW. I'm on hosted, running a patched v8.0.2.1. The closest I've come up with is Helpful Links, with links to the Content page filtered for the desired category. But she really wants the list of content to be within the Tile, not a link that needs to be clicked to reach the list.

• Re: Is there a way to show content in a category within a Tile?
          Dennis Pearce

Could you do this with a Super List tile, one for each category?  (And I'm on the cloud so I don't remember whether Super List is in V8 or not.)

tmaurer

No, Super List is not in 8. And that also means I don't really know how it works so I don't know if it would automatically feed newly categorized content into the Tile. That is one of the requirements, and a reason I'm struggling to find a solution.

1 person found this helpful
                  Dennis Pearce

It could work but I guess it's moot since you don't have it, but for the sake of reference for the future -

Once you have it, the Content view of every place (and the top level Browse Content views) will have a link at the bottom right of the page that says "Use this view in a tile."  You can apply whatever filters, tags, categories, etc you want and when you are happy with the results in the view, clicking that link will generate a url that you can then use in the Super List tile.  It's dynamic so it should reflect the latest content, however it only shows 10 items at most so it might not be what your user needs.  Here's a comparison I did of the content displayed in our Help site for the category "Documentation - training, examples, how-to's," and a Super List tile I created to to display the same thing.  It's also in a different space, so you can display content from other places beyond the current one.

Capture.PNG        Capture2.PNG

4 people found this helpful
                      tmaurer

Great - I'll let the employee know this is coming, because this does sound like it would work perfectly. Thanks much!!

tshort

Dennis Pearce - the "Use This View In A Tile" feature sounds a lot like a variation of RSS. Is that, in fact, what it is? Or something else?

Thanks! Sounds great!

Dennis Pearce

Yes, it is a sort of variation of RSS.  Jive has an RSS widget but no RSS tile, so you could use this one as a replacement for the widget but only if your RSS feed was originating from inside your Jive instance.  So what's interesting is that users now get both options at the bottom of their browse screen:

links.PNG

The results are the same, but the display options are a little different.  With the RSS widget you get the ability to set the number of items displayed, hide the title and border, and show either titles only, titles + 255 characters, or the full text.  It also shows the creation date.  With the Super List tile you are locked into 10 items displayed, titles only.  On the other hand, the tile shows the icons indicating the type of content and a "More Results" link that will take you to the view that originated the display, which the widget does not have.

Below is the information generated when clicking on each (I took out the https://<domain name> part in the first one):

Get a feed of this content: view-browse-feed.jspa?filterID=contentstatus[published]~category[use-cases-great-examples-for-using-innovate]&browseSite=place-content&containerType=14&userIDs=2008&containerID=2001&browseViewID=placeContent

Use this view in a tile: filterID=contentstatus[published]~category[use-cases-great-examples-for-using-innovate]&browseSite=place-content&containerType=14&userIDs=2008&containerID=2001&browseViewID=placeContent

As you can see, once you get past the "RSSish" jsp part of the feed url in the top example, they are identical.

Here's a side-by-side comparison so you can see the difference (original content was sorted by recent activity):

Widget.PNG     tile.PNG

Hope that helps!

3 people found this helpful