25 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2017 1:43 PM by Patty McEnaney

When to use Office 365 or Jive?

achiu

Hi Everyone,

We're exploring the whole Microsoft Suite and we're hoping to get some answers from other Jive customers who are using both Office 365 (O365) and Jive, mainly regarding when your users would use Microsoft, versus Jive.

SharePoint has versioning capabilities, co-authoring and is a content storage system.  So does Jive, minus the co-authoring capabilities.

Both platforms have the ability to create groups or team sites.

Both platforms have the capability to be viewed anywhere with in internet connection, browser and on a mac or PC.  You can edit documents on web apps in Microsoft

Both platforms have the ability to invite external users to collaborate.

Both platforms have a newsfeed.

Both platforms have mobile apps.

These are just some of the initial questions that pop up in my head when analyzing the two platforms.  This makes it very confusing for users, since they won't know where to go to do what, considering they can perform very similar functions on both platforms.  How do other Jive customers who have both O365 and Jive manage the community?  Where do you point your users for these collaboration functions?  Any ideas and suggestions much appreciated.

• Re: When to use Office 365 or Jive?
          tshort

Arleen Chiu wrote:

Hi Everyone,

We're exploring the whole Microsoft Suite and we're hoping to get some answers from folks who are using both Office 365 (O365) and Jive, mainly regarding when your users would use Microsoft, versus Jive. 

SharePoint has versioning capabilities, co-authoring and is a content storage system.  So does Jive, minus the co-authoring capabilities.

You seem to be conflating MS Office suite and O365 with MS Sharepoint (MSSP). While they are all obviously related, and there is lots of overlap, they also do different things.

With O365 you get content creation and editing in the cloud, along with some default ability to organize and store that content. Is that what you're directionally headed toward? Or are you going to use MSSP to store legacy Office docs/files?

In any case, re your statement that MSSP has versioning, co-authoring and content storage capabilities, and "so does Jive, minus co-authoring," I'm not sure what you're getting at there. There are native Jive documents that can be edited by multiple users - either specifically named, or open to whoever has access to the document. Also, the Jive RTE (rich text editor) offers quite a bit of text formatting, tables, inline images, etc.

For spreadsheets and presentations, the Jive for Office connector allows version control and multiple authoring of these MS Office doc types (along with MS Word docs), with storage and Jive collaboration features.

Both platforms have the ability to create groups or team sites.

True, but I would argue that Jive offers a much easier approach to creating and managing these than MSSP does.

Arleen Chiu wrote:

Both platforms have the capability to be viewed anywhere with in internet connection, browser and on a mac or PC.  You can edit documents on web apps in Microsoft

Both platforms have the ability to invite external users to collaborate.

Both platforms have a newsfeed.

Both platforms have mobile apps.

Check, check, check and check. Although you may want to confirm that the Jive for Office Connector works on the Mac platform.

This makes it very confusing for users, since they won't know where to go to do what, considering they can perform very similar functions on both platforms.  How do other Jive customers who have both O365 and Jive manage the community?  Where do you point your users for these collaboration functions?  Any ideas and suggestions much appreciated.

Some thoughts:

1. I'd suggest you start by looking at how your users are currently using existing platforms and tools, and how universal those examples are. Is everyone using MSSP are particularly way, or for a particular set of content?

2. When it comes to text-based content, and whether to create it as a native Jive document or a shared MS Word doc, the advice I give users is based on their answers to a few questions:

a) how heavily formatted is the document going to be? Straight text with some bullets is a lot different than lots of graphics, columns, complex headers/footers, etc. Savvy Jive users can duplicate many layouts and features that are easily done in MS Word, but at some point it can make sense to use Word when the formatting is critical.

b) how is the document going to be used? Is it for printing, or just for consumption? If printing is a requirement then you may find that MS Word offers better control over pagination, fonts, and layout than a native Jive doc does, particularly if there is a lot of formatting.

c) if the document is intended for online consumption, will the target audience reasonably be expected to consist of all Jive users? If so, then a native Jive document may be the way to go.

d) how long is the document? Native Jive documents are great for content that would end up being under 5-10 pages in MS Word. Longer content could need to be divided up into multiple native Jive docs for ease of navigation. MS Word may be a better choice for 80-page proposals and RFPs and the like.

3. After considering the above, you may want to summarize your recommended approach to "when to use which tool/platform" into a table that lists the various high-level use case types, and the preferred platform for each one. Others in this community have likely tackled this question and may be willing to post up their tables.

achiu

Thanks for your response Tom Short

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my question, but I want to know when users would use Jive versus Microsoft when they have both the full MSFT suite (O365, SharePoint, Exchange, etc) and Jive at their companies.  The main challenge is that we're essentially at the fork in the road and trying to figure out if there's a strong enough argument to keep Jive when the MSFT seems to do everything plus more than Jive.  We have a very strong MSFT contingency at our org that we're up against.  Think David (Jive) and Goliath (MSFT).  The easy solution is to go with MSFT because they're safe and the "local" company, but if we do go with them, why have Jive?  They perform roughly the same task on paper.  We're currently running SP 2010, which is far less functional than the current offering of SP 2016 in conjunction with MSFT O365 and all of its new components. The most current offerings sound great: accessible anywhere with an internet connect on any platform (mac or PC), but how often does it fail to sync to the cloud?

RE: You seem to be conflating MS Office suite and O365 with MS Sharepoint (MSSP). While they are all obviously related, and there is lots of overlap, they also do different things.

I lumped the entire MSFT suite into O365: Exchange, Office, SharePoint, etc for financial purposes because that's how MSFT has bundled their solution to us.  Basically, we need to buy the enterprise software with everything, or else it'll cost more, and no one wants to pay more. 

RE: Co-authoring, Jive does not support the capability for multiple users to edit the same document at the same time.  One has to wait until no one is editing the document in order to make changes.  Even with the Office connector, you can see who else is viewing the document, but we have run into situations where only one person's changes are saved, and someone else is out of luck and has to start over with their edits.  Not a great user experience, and people editing the same document at the same time happens more frequently than people think at our org.

tshort

Got it, Arleen. The David vs Goliath issue is pretty common. I think I'll let the Jive team address that item, along with providing you some input regarding making the case for Jive versus MSSP.

Re co-authoring, yes - if you frequently have situations where multiple people are working on the same thing at the same time, the Office Connector may not be ideal. I'm not sure about how this works with O365 - may be worth investigating. Again, I'll defer to the Jive team on that one, too (do you have a Jive account rep you could contact directly about these items?).

achiu

I received some top secret info from Jive.

From Bryce Williams:

My summary is that O365 is a good productivity tool with a core strength around content. Jive is a connection & engagement tool with a core strength of people. They each have similar features but with different primary objectives. So if you're main need is to enable at a team/project level around productivity, O365 makes more sense. If your main need is to better connect and engage your company in more of a "community culture"...Jive is a better fit. Or, if you need both, you may need to find a way for them to co-exist.

2 people found this helpful
                      infocloud

Arleen, O365 Groups have been opening their APIs and capabilities quite a bit in the last 6 months or so. They have an open road map for what is coming each month. There are a lot of capabilities from the Graph (who people are, whom they are connected to, whom they are actively working with, and what they are working on (documents & spaces). Microsoft and interconnection points to weave conversations in Groups into other services.

I'm very unfamiliar with this Microsoft, but there are up to a lot of interesting things and changing insanely quickly.

infocloud

The other piece that is important to keep in mind is people will work and interact where they are, which means some will be in Jive and some in O365 Groups. The two services need to work together and integrate tightly so interactions and activities are current and not lost between the services.

christy.schoon

Hi Arleen, to your point you are trying to remove confusion from your end-users work lives.  The way I see this best done is when customers focus their communication and collaboration efforts in Jive (where most end-users would accomplish everything) and the more focused content management in SharePoint online, which shows up in Jive via the Jive / SharePoint connector.  This way you can leverage the best of each solution without causing undo confusion to your end-users.

SharePoint Online (SPO) has a different level of document management features than Jive and so whenever there's a need for multi-level document approvals, SPO is where that content could reside and go through the necessary workflows.  Then display it in Jive for the rest of the end-users.  They don't have to know it lives anywhere else and they don't have to get confused about where to collaborate, connect, and communicate.  Jive is great at enabling those connections and fostering conversations ABOUT content, not just hosting the content itself. 

gilou

Hello Arleen,

In my company (2000+ employees) we are facing exactly the same question. We have been using Jive-n for 4 years and now we are upgrading from Office 2013 to Office 365 with Sharepoint Online included.

So should we give up Jive or integrate Jit with O365/Sharepoint? Not an easy one to answer!

So I have been collecting a lot of different materials on the internet including:

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKfY-a7UL2U

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBANHRdF5tQ

- Wictor Wilén - SharePoint MCA, MCSM, MCM and MVP - Has Yammer played out its role?  because at some points we thought we could replace Jive by Yammer.

- From Jive to Office 365 and Beezy

We are going to set up on a sandbox the integration between Jive and O365 to test it.

Also we are looking closely at the Groups feature in O365 which apparently would bring some nice collaboration features.

Still some work to do before seeing clearly what is the good path for us...

Gilles

2 people found this helpful
                            tbwayne

Can we fast forward?  My company is now facing this question I a big way with the advent of )365 Teams, a better-than-Slack capability that looks like a game-changer.  We are migrating email systems and this comes with.

Anyone facing that?  Have to admit, based on what I see, the organic (based on chat or email) nature of Teams collaboration looks extremely easy.  Rest of you?

1 person found this helpful
                                lorilea

Teri, you're not alone. We're moving all of our users to Office 365 and the IT team is unlocking the features as we go along. Our users are more often asking us, "When do I use Jive and when do I use Microsoft?" With many of the features overlapping, it's tough to answer. Our main messaging to our users has been that our Jive community is the place where you would communicate with all employees and Office 365 is more appropriate for focused teams. If you want to know what's going on in our company, you'll need to visit Jive for the news and opportunity to socialize around it. Similar to the info Christy provided.

Another aspect our IT team didn't consider when rolling our Office 365 is the importance of a community manager. (They suggested I could do it in addition to the Jive platform – no!) I'm not sure what other companies are doing with O365. Curious as to whether there's a community manager assigned to the platform within other organizations.

3 people found this helpful
                                    tbwayne

Thanks for the insight!  Fortunately, my senior management has got the Technology folks to hit pause so we can plan how all of this can hang together best.  It will not be easy, but we are well-invested in our enterprise, collaborative intranet and want to make sure all other apps connect.  The whole "digital workplace" and "hub" ideas are on our doorstep and forcing us to think holistically.

tmaurer

Sarah O'Meara or Claire Fletcher - is this something that you could help facilitate? I'm thinking the internal Jive consultants likely have experience with these questions and could provide a POV and potentially even some assets to help.

kim.nelson

If Jive can help facilitate something, I would join. I would like someone on the call that can speak to this as more of an expert from the MSFT side and are using both in their companies. We are now but we just launched and I am not well versed in why one would use Teams vs. Jive vs. SharePoint vs. Groups, etc. Is it just personal preference, should we have an official recommendation based on specific business use cases? That is my struggle. I want to get educated so that when I'm asked, I am not just giving the "Jive is best" answer, but can articulate the differences. I need to do more research myself, but if Jive could help educate us as well, I would appreciate it.