11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2016 10:32 PM by Jennifer Kelley

One single Jive instance for both internal and external communities

alessandro.disipio

In our organization, we work a lot with external suppliers and external people. I think that the best solution would be to implement one single Jive instance open to everybody, so that, for example, I can deal with internal working processes and external working exchanges through 1 single digital hub. But, I understand, there would be a potential security problem.

Do you any experience on that? what is the best approach?

Jive-n or Jive-x?

• Re: One single Jive instance for both internal and external communities
          socketz

We leverage a single Jive hosted instance with a combination of spaces and groups, public and private.

Our Company to Registered Users (Spaces)

Our Partners to Registered Users (Spaces)

Our Company to Prospects (Public Spaces)

Our Company to Partners (Private Groups)

Our Partners to their Customers (Private Groups)

srivers

My concern with this is that Jive has not always been good with permission security. I also am concerned that someone will post something to the wrong place and really put their foot in their mouth publicly. That is why we have an internal Jive-N and an external Jive-X.

I would expect that Jive will also continue to separate these two products, specializing them to better fit the needs of the two use main cases. I do not mind them being one, but I think Jive would have a long road to hoe for me to be comfortable.

We have done some things in public community with partners but not our employee base as much.

1 person found this helpful
              alessandro.disipio

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, it is a very interesting discussion.

For example, I have this use case in mind: external suppliers may have a big role in providing contents (i.e. building the knowledge of the organization) that should be easily reusable by internal users into internal processes. If we put external suppliers on a separate platform, we have to copy&past such contents from one platform to the other: this is a duplication of work that I really want to avoid.

Another use case: the helpdesk support is outsourced to external suppliers. All the conversations around the different tickets should be immediately visible to internal users and usable in internal conversations.

achiu

It would depend on who your external people are.  If they are collaborating with internal people, then a Jive-n would be my vote.  You would be able to bring in external users into your instance, and your internal folks can collaborate with them and the external users would only see the content they have been invited to share.  We have external users that we bring into our internal site, for example collaborating with a construction company to build a hospital.  Everyone knows it's an external group because of the orange banner, and everyone is careful about what they share.  The construction company has one place where they can go to collaborate with us and their content is private.  Our group owners can manage the external relationships on their own in a private and controlled environment.

However, if you're trying to engage your customer base, I would think Jive-x would be better. 

Billy Volpone

From a pure strategy standpoint, security is only one of the reasons why most clients choose separate Jive-n and Jive-x instances. From an overall user experience, it's important to realize that when these are blended, one of the groups often ends up living in "someone else's house". Starting with the landing page needing to cater to one group specifically or the heavy permissioning needed to lock certain groups down, it can hinder more open discoverability and cross-functional collaboration. When you have an open, for the most part, employee-only Jive network, it allows for far more sporadic engagement and discovery. When a user knows exactly what they want and where it is, that's fine. But free-form collaboration is important with both Jive-n and Jive-x. You might see some of this in blended networks, but not nearly as much as might be preferred.

alessandro.disipio

Indeed, I understand your point. For our needs, these are the different levels of permissions I have in mind:

- internal people are allowed to see (almost) everything

- suppliers are allowed to work only on specific groups

- other external people are allowed to work only on specific groups

If I think on how to re-engineer internal processes with the aim to provide internal people with an as much as possible seamless experience, I would say that having only 1 instance is a necessary condition.

Billy Volpone

Well if you don't need much cross/open collaboration among suppliers and other external users, than our "external group" function should work just fine. It really comes to a head when, instead of dealing with project style work with external users, you need far more open engagement and a variety of areas for them to access. Those processes can infringe on the intranet itself. Search can be helped via the permissionings you mention (even though if employees can see everything that might be confusing, but not sure here)... but gamification also can take a hit as you'll probably want different things from different teams. Plenty more to discuss, but I can understand if your scenario works well with one instance, but the majority of times they require separation.

Jennifer Kelley

Hi, Alessandro - great discussion.  Others have covered most of the high points in terms of pros and cons.  The main challenges or considerations I tend to see as a strategist:

• data security as others mentioned, usually there is some sort of IT governance policy that would preclude, etc.
                            • single user directory
                            • making sure users (employees) are very clear on which places are internal only vs. not - Jive's feature set supports you setting up the structure and permissions but there's always the human / change management element

Finally we do have the External Groups capabilities which many Jive-n customers use to supported more constrained / specific collaboration with partners/vendors/customers on a per group basis without access to the whole instance or directory, but I'm guessing you're aware of that and your use cases are more expansive than this?  Just covering all the bases!