11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2017 2:28 PM by Billy Volpone

Wordpress/Jive Integration?

mdimino

Hello! Our marketing team currently runs the corporate blog from Wordpress. There was a lot of customer chatter following a recent blog post, but in order to comment you must create a Wordpress account. It would be ideal if they could comment using Jive so if anything, they would have to create an account in our Community. In other words, the blog would still appear on our official corporate site through Wordpress, but the comments would be through Jive. Does anyone know if this type of integration is possible?

• Re: Wordpress/Jive Integration?
          Brad.Fitzgerald

We have the same setup.  In the past there was some stuff like "Community Everywhere" but I don't know what has happened to that functionality in the more recent versions of Jive. I'm curious to see what the JC comes up with.

1 person found this helpful
              Billy Volpone

Brad, you're correct about community everywhere... but much like what we are using it for on this page of our main website (if you scroll to the bottom: https://www.jivesoftware.com/customers/ ), this is actually pull content directly from the community. So no comments are being posted there, it's really about surfacing hot content on the main site and that in turn allow more links into the customer network. From a blogging perspective, you could maybe use SSO to authenticate users between the community and Wordpress, but if you wanted comments, you'd have to turn on Wordpress comments which would still be not connected to the community or searchable from the community. Long term, what are your thoughts about using Jive blogs (especially after our recent redesign of them) for that corporate messaging instead?

Brad.Fitzgerald

In my opinion, moving it all into one central community is the best long term strategy, but unfortunately politics gets in the way.  In my case, there is "mental entrenchment" in favor of a separate blog and skepticism about the community, so I'm hoping to find a way to mitigate this in the near term with a goal of bringing them together in the long term.

sakendrick

Brad Fitzgerald - it's not a political issue for us - WordPress is substantially stronger in terms of SEO vs. Jive.  I can share details if you'd like but we've had discussions with some of the Jive product team about the short comings.  While we were building a vibrant content community in Jive, we are now considering consolidating all of our blogs, news and information to wordpress - keeping discussions only in Jive... but as per the original poster, this creates a very convoluted user experience where you may have two different logins and experiences to comment on blogs, vs. have discussions with the community members.  We are trying to find an elegant way to integrate the two as well, unless Jive quickly closes the SEO gaps, which I don't think is realistic.

markopscallminer

Billy Volpone

sakendrick- we're actually adding quite a bit to our SEO abilities with our 2017.1 Summer release. Last year at this same time we also added new SEO abilities and fixes. Certainly Wordpress is great when it comes to SEO, but the user experience and ability to socialize content is always there. Plus, we see most clients have blogs on both. More official PR/announcement type blogs on Wordpress, and more product, event, and end user generated blogs on Jive. It's often not either/or.

Here are some of the things coming in the next release:

•Add and edit custom metadata to specific content, beyond the default tags supported by Jive, including:

•Update HTML Title, Description, and/or Keywords

•Update canonical tag

•Adding additional custom meta tags

•Custom tags improve admin management of Metadata

•Multi-language support to improve XML sitemaps and localized search engine results

l9rezn

Marissa Dimino,

Were you able to get a successful integration of Wordpress and JIVE? If so- how?

Thanks!

Lea

Frank Field

Hi, Marissa Dimino, yes, I'd love to hear what, if anything, you achieved in this regard.

Thanks!

communitygecko

We had (and I believe they continue to have) the same problem with my previous employer, Oracle. What I did to get around it was to create an iframe in an html widget where the blog outside of Jive would appear and be functional. There are pitfalls with this approach so you have to weigh what you are trying to overcome. For us, the positives of a better visual user experience that was not disconnected outweighed the issues that content in the outside blog was not searchable inside Jive or that the widget we used either had to be the middle column of a 3 column layout or the entire width in order to be displayed without size issues. This middle ground was accepted as a compromise by all parties and, in fact, it served as an impetus for some of the teams to migrate to Jive blogs (although some resisted and we just sighed instead of fighting it).