5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2016 8:06 AM by thundercat

Where can I lookup Jive versions and Jive REST API versions?

thundercat

Dear community,

as I found out, the Jive REST API carries an independent version number.

Where can I lookup which Jive versions corresponds to which Jive REST API versions?

Examples, that I can offer:

Jive versionJive REST API version

I am asking this question, because sometimes properties of entities in the REST API documentation carry a note 'Since: 3.8', e.g. the Jive entity.

What does 3.8 mean in terms of Jive version numbers?

Best Regards,

Mark

• Re: Where can I lookup Jive versions and Jive REST API versions?
          jlevi

You can query the instance by calling /api/version

Calling this will show all versions supported by that instance.

See: https://developers.jivesoftware.com/api/v3/cloud/rest/index.html#versioning

"The Jive REST API is versioned separately from Jive product releases. Multiple API versions are supported in each Jive release in order to provide backwards compatibility.

Major releases involve significant changes to the API, while minor involve only backwards-compatible changes (e.g. adding new service endpoints). In some cases, classes and methods will have a Since label in the documentation that identifies the API version that the feature was added in."

I searched for a master list but haven't seen a published map of all of the versions.  Most likely this is not managed outside the API because you can simply query the instance for supported versions.  I could be wrong, though!

1 person found this helpful
              thundercat

Hi Joey,

thank you for your answer. I don't understand how the API endpoint you mentioned can help me answering the following question:

What does 'API version 3.8' mean in terms of Jive version numbers?

I work with Jive 7.0.1.0 a lot. Ok, by calling the endpoint, I know it supports Jive REST API 3.4. Still, I cannot answer the question.

The API endpoint you mentioned actually helped me to provide the incomplete list above.

Kind Regards,

Mark

jlevi

Ah, what I am saying is that the docs say that there is not a direct correlation between the major version numbers of the jive api and the major version numbers of the jive platform.  The API major version has been on "3" since at least Jive 7.  The minor versions change as we add updates to the API to support existing features, changes to existing features, and new features.  So I am not sure there would be sense in maintaining a master list of all the version relationships versus just having that available from the API itself.

1 person found this helpful
                    jlevi

Re-reading your original post and the response here is what I would say about a particular example where the "lastAuthenticated" field on the entity states "since 3.8".  This means that prior to that version of the API, we didn't support getting this information from Jive even though that information was available in Jive.  Whether it was an oversite or wasn't considered important in earlier versions of the API, I am not sure.  But eventually, we added a field to the response JSON which is not available in earlier versions of the API.  But this is where I think it is difficult to correlate the API to the core product version. 

<personal opinion>

The Jive Platform (the core) existed for many years before the API.  As we decided the best way to open up the platform to developers, we began to construct the API.  The first versions of the API didn't include everything that the core application could do because we wanted to get an API out to developers that would cover enough of what they needed and it would have delayed a lot of other efforts if we waited to get everything from Jive into the API.  Since the initial API release, we have discovered gaps either through our own engineering or through partner developers or our customers.  We manage the API like a product - so there is a roadmap, product management, engineering - and there are bugs and suggestions filed into JIRA.  So we have released newer versions of the API to cover the gaps in existing functionality.  That's why this is a disparity between the core version numbers and the API.  As we develop new features in Jive, we work to make sure that the API exist in parallel because we use the API for mobile development and for other integrations.  We also want our developer users to be able to replicate most of Jive elsewhere if they require.

Like I said earlier, I don't think it would be impossible to maintain a list of the relationship between major/minor versions of Jive and major/minor versions of the API; I just think that it is too much work when the application can be queried directly by developers to get a sense of why something isn't working for their version of Jive or whether something is supported by their version of Jive.

</personal opinion>

So again, there is not a direct correlation.  We are still shoring up existing features in the API while adding new features to the API.