1 Reply Latest reply on May 17, 2016 12:30 PM by Libby Taylor

Building a research program for users in prep for upgrade?

tonyafrizzell

Hi friends. We're on Jive 6 and getting ready to completely overhaul how we approach communications at lululemon. We're in 17 countries, more than 350 stores, and a wide diversity of employees from floor sales (the majority) to executive. We need to do a deep dive into how they access our internal community -- what's working and what's not -- to create a baseline going ahead.  I'll do this through a survey, focus groups, and 1:1 interviews.

Does anyone have any best practices or benchmark in what constitutes enough? I'm struggling with time and locations as neither are unlimited, but need to do enough that we feel like we've captured a good range of opinions to help set guiding principles and a strategic direction.

Many thanks,

Tonya

• Re: Building a research program for users in prep for upgrade?
          Libby Taylor

Hi Tonya,

It's a great question and I applaud you for accepting the challenge of such a big upgrade leap. I'm not entirely sure there's a clear answer to your question. Some companies are great with a more tops-down driven strategy so you could probably ask a smaller number of people, focusing on your management tiers and run with what they tell you. On the other hand, you are a widely diverse base of users so of course you'll want to give people the opportunity to chime in. I think you'll know you've hit enough when you schedule a focus group and no on attends. Or you reach enough people that say "hey, whatever you implement is fine."

Keep in mind too that people don't always know what they need. Something about asking people in the early 1900's what they wanted in transportation and the ideas were all for better horse carriages, when in fact what was needed was an automobile. Know what I mean? Sure, talk to the people, get a good solid sample. Yet at some point you have to take a leap and embrace the new features and drag people along with you. Do it with enthusiasm and joy!

And let me know how it goes and what you decide. We're here cheering for you!