8 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2016 2:19 AM by teemuluukkonen

Search function not working

shohamadizes

Hello,

My search function stopped working.  To explain I have added a photo.  Notice that while I have typed in the name of the file in the search bar (which is also in the tag) the file is still not coming up.  The same is true when I search for other docs that I know exist...

Any guidance on why this is happening?

Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 10.07.59 AM.png

• Re: Search function not working
          lorilea

I'm not sure if you're experiencing the same exact problem we did, but we had to re-index our search recently when something very similar was happening. We were able to do that through our admin panel. Maybe that would be a simple fix for you as well?

teemuluukkonen

You should be able to find "rebuild index" option from admin console -> system -> settings -> search -> (content search) rebuild index

rebuild index.JPG

1 person found this helpful
              shohamadizes

Dear Teemu Luukkonen,

Thank you for taking the time to spell out how to rebuild index using the admin console.  I am sorry to say that I am still a bit lost.  When I go to my admin console it looks very different from the screen shot that you shared.  This is what my admin console looks like.

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 11.03.04 AM.png

Can you help me figure out how to:

-1 get to the admin console configuration that you have in your screen shot OR

-2 Show me how to rebuild index on this admin console configuration?

Sorry to be a pain and thank you for your help.

teemuluukkonen

Hi shoham,

That's simplified admin console. To be able to get your hands on with the settings I showed earlier you should press the "advanced settings" button from the bottom left corner from your current admin console.

mikhaillenko

Hi Teemu Luukkonen,

While our system undergoes the "full content system rebuild", which, as it notes, can take a considerable amount of time, is any functionality impaired or does this present any issues? I am experiencing a similar problem, our search sometimes does not work properly but its disclaimer makes me a bit apprehensive.

["Initiate a full content index rebuild, which will create an entirely new index with all data. Index rebuilds can take considerably longer than index updates. Rebuilds are generally only required if the search index becomes corrupted (for example, if the application server shuts down while an index update is occurring)."]

Are there any risks implied in initiating a full content index rebuild, is there any value on doing that over the weekend?

Thank you, shohamadizes, for raising this issue.

Kindly,

Mikhail

teemuluukkonen

Hi Mikhail,

How much time this full content system rebuild takes depends how much content you have in your community. I have done this for our community example on some mornings or some other time when I know that there aren't so many community users online. For our community this takes something like 1 minute or less, so we are not talking a long time and during this time community should work as normal but possibly slower. Our community is not very big yet so it's hard to compare any BIG communities for how much time it will take for those.

So my suggestion is that click the rebuild on weekend or some other time you know that community useage is small. Once you have tested it and know how much time it will take then you know better when you are able to do it next time when it's needed.

BR

Teemu