7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2016 12:12 AM by karpachi

Jive's mobile capabilities now and future

sharakarasic

Hi all, I need a refresher on what Jive's mobile capabilities are. Does anyone have case studies about use of the Jive app? Is there a write-up somewhere talking about Jive's current and future mobile features?

• Re: Jive's mobile capabilities now and future
          Billy Volpone

Hi Shara, if you're referring to Jive-x, there isn't a native app for that. Jive Daily is focused on our intranet use case. With that said, there is a native app for Jive-x that's for moderators specifically. As for end users, we have worked hard to make all of our pages mobile responsive if using tiles for your layout. Hope this helps.

sharakarasic

I am really confused - I recently downloaded the Jive iOS app and am using it to access our JiveX community. So are you saying that is just for Jive Internal users? Anyway, we can't use it as is though, we need to "wrap" it I suppose as it is a Jive-branded app and we need to brand it with our own brand. Are there any examples of companies that used the mobile SDK to build their own app for an external community or that have "wrapped" the Jive mobile app? Can I have a link to the mobile SDK info?

It would be great to advise Social Edge to tell their customers that their sites will only be responsive if they use tiles - we did not get that advice and now will have to make many changes to use tiles instead of widgets.

Billy Volpone

Sounds like the app you downloaded was our older Jive iOS app before we developed and launched what we call Jive Daily. The new Daily app, and the old one you're using, are both focused in our interactive intranet use case. They cannot be branded currently. We have heard of companies using their own existing apps with Jive-x deployments to connect community elements via the mobile SDK, but cannot think of any off the top of my head. The reason this is the case is that it's quite hard practically to get external users to install yet another app on their phones for a community they might be not using nearly as much as they would use an intranet, as an employee. This is exactly why we've put so much focus on the community being responsive, since the vast majority of people touch the community via the mobile browser instead of any native apps.

As for tiles and widgets... you can make a page responsive with widgets, it just takes more oversight, but tiles are automatically responsive. The homepage will be best, for now, with widgets, while I'd recommend groups/spaces leverage the tile design.

karpachi

Hello Billy Volpone, sharakarasic, please see if this discussion can be related to the above.  I would really like Jive Daily to become available for Jive-x communities:

Jive Daily app for Jive-x communities

Jive Daily mobile app for Jive-x

Thank you!

Billy Volpone

Hi Igor. Technically, Daily could work with X, but the reason you don't see that add-on out of the box, similar to our discussion above, is because users would have to download and continue using "Jive Daily". So it would remain a Jive app even if your community is called something else. If that's not an issue for your network, I believe you can install the Jive Daily add-on to enable access. It is also hard to get users to install any app, which is again why we're very focused on making everything responsive.

1 person found this helpful
                              karpachi

Thank you, Billy Volpone, you are right, Jive Daily app technically already works for Jive-x communities and there are a few users in our community, who already use Jive Daily (including myself).

There are issues though with the app and I do not know if these issues are related to the fact that it is not designed for Jive-x or to something else.  And, as the app is not officially supported, there is no way to file a case with support. 

For example, dialog screens on my app have started recently showing in a language that I have never installed (Finnish??), while my mobile is set to French and community is set to English or French.  From time to time an error message will show on a blank screen and only solution will be to restart the app.

So, it would be really great if Jive could recognize Jive Daily as official app for Jive-x communities.

To your question above, it would be good to be able to white label the app, but for the moment, our community can live with Jive Daily name.

Jennifer Kelley

Shara thanks for the question, I wanted to point you to some additional resources that may help.

For more insight into product capabilities and roadmap I would recommend Jive Mobile or talking with your account manager.

For more on our mobile SDK and development resources, see Mobile - Developer Resources.

For the bulk of external communities, across not only Jive but other platforms we see that end users don't tend to download and use custom apps, hence the focus on mobile web / responsive design and tiles.  There are important exceptions with your employees or champions or other closer stakeholder groups than your average end user.