1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 8, 2016 8:48 AM by whoiskevin

Automated install of Jive on-premise ?

max_allan

Hi,

We'd like to run the initial install of Jive in an automated way. So adding things like core and activity engine database connections, license, administrator details etc. To build a properly provisioned Jive that is "empty" ready for developers to work on.
      There are some alternatives like doing an install and taking a snapshot then starting from the snapshot, or just backing up the DB and relevant config files. But they're all a bit fragile and really need repeating every time there is a new Jive release. And we need to have a database at the same hostname, etc...

Or, I could write some cURL to post the connection details,etc.. into the relevant pages, but once again that results in a fragile solution.

Can anyone suggest a better way to run the initial setup with no human interaction?

(I've asked our Jive support team and while they admit that such scripts exist for Jive's internal use, they don't think we're capable of re-engineering them for our own needs.)

Thanks,

Max

• Re: Automated install of Jive on-premise ?
          whoiskevin

Based on how the system stores so much of the configuration data in the database I don't see any way currently to get a clean setup without just injected the commands into the database or restoring from a backup.  The script version is less fragile but I have never taken it as far as configuring the entire system.  I have scripts that get close but cost / benefit has left those scripts short of a fully configured system.

For development setup I use a set of postgres backups.  Not fully automatic but restoring a few databases after checking out the project is pretty dead simple (upgrading and creating a new version is not too hard when there is a new version of JIve).  It also makes for a nice "are you qualified to develop on this" test  LOL

So my only suggestion is using the database restores for a local development setup.  For setting up a server a set of scripts for the database can be used to do all the setup but this takes some work and would likely need to be combined with something like puppet or ansible to complete a setup.