this posting has two purposes:
1) I'd like to find out if we're the first Jive Partner or Jive customer who is using @mentions in externalObjects - or if you (the valued reader) have also hit this problem in your applications.
If you did, please chime in with a comment to let the Jive product team know this is something important to fix. Or, open a case with Jive and mention this thread or this support case @mentions in externalObjects / StreamTile posts messing up Jive inbox
2) We have opened a support case with Jive about this, but since this is in our private support space, our customers can't comment on this.
Please read what this is about:
We are creating externalObjects via StreamTiles / Stream Integration whenever a Recognition Story is created. This externalObject also contains @mentions about the users involved.
Example from a Jive Cloud demo environment: https://jivedemo-tembosocial.jiveon.com/news?streamSource=publication&streamID=293
Can be reproduced in Jive Cloud as well as Jive8.x environments (hosted and on-prem)
So, after posting this externalObject with @mentions in the body, the Jive inbox starts to behave erroneously. We can reproduce several issues:
If the Jive inbox unread count is set to zero (reset via "mark all read") before the first externalObject/@mentions combination is posted, an unread counter of (1) will appear in all mentioned person's inboxes. However, there is no story listed as "unread" (in bold). The story with the "you have been mentioned" will appear under one of the older, already read stories.
There's also no means to make it "read", aside from the "mark all read" method - as it does not show under its own headline/subject.
After posting a few, this is an example of an inbox completely out of sync:
- unread count of 3, but no unread stories in the inbox
- externalObject story under "Connection Updates", which is also highlighted twice
- one of which has an timestamp of "2 months ago", while the story was "2 hours ago" - but it is not the correct headline anyway
Summing this up, we are not using any hidden or unsupported API, but are following these documents:
The thing is - when there's an @mentions in the externalObjects content, the Jive inbox gets out of sync. Our customers are reporting the same behaviour.
It would be interesting to know if we are the first ones using @mentions in externalObjects / Stream Tile posts.
cc: Ryan Rutan