1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 8:12 AM by Ryan Rutan

Getting Started Developing Jive Apps

ghaccount

We are a development agency who have been asked to check the feasibility of producing a system (that we would normally build as a standalone web application) as a Jive App.

I had a few questions about the platform and would appreciate any input.

- Where are Jive Apps hosted?

- How are apps we build deployed to the Jive platform?

- How do the appear on the Jive platform? Is there an app submission process?

- I read in the documentation that Jive Apps can be built as javascript applications or 'as other scripting languages'.  Our system would require an MVC architecture and in that case we would normally use CakePHP to code it, connected to a MySQL database.  Can Jive support that?

- Does anyone have any examples of Jive apps built on PHP? Do you have any links to a community of developers who are working that way? (i.e. what's the eco-system like for PHP Jive Apps?)

- Does anyone have any examples of Jive apps built on Angular.js? Do you have any links to a community of developers who are working that way? (i.e. what's the eco-system like for Angular.js Jive Apps?)

- Is there a preferred technology that you would recommend based on resources, support and a wider developer eco-system?

• Re: Getting Started Developing Jive Apps
          Ryan Rutan

Greenhill Account wrote:

We are a development agency who have been asked to check the feasibility of producing a system (that we would normally build as a standalone web application) as a Jive App.

I had a few questions about the platform and would appreciate any input.

- Where are Jive Apps hosted?

Jive Apps can be hosted inside the Jive Add-On (effectively storing static assets on Jive), or you can remotely host them as long as it is a public address.

- How are apps we build deployed to the Jive platform?

You bundle your apps/definitions inside add-ons and Jive handles the rest.  See also Common Jive Add-On Use-Case Patterns

- How do the appear on the Jive platform? Is there an app submission process?

Apps do NOT have to be submitted to a marketplace to be installed.  You can install them on a 1-off basis per instance if desired.  We do have an add-on registry available in the product for one-click installs...but in order to get onto this list...we need to establish a formal partnership and/or certify the solution. See: Technology Partners - Jive Software

- I read in the documentation that Jive Apps can be built as javascript applications or 'as other scripting languages'. Our system would require an MVC architecture and in that case we would normally use CakePHP to code it, connected to a MySQL database. Can Jive support that?

Since you are running on this stack, you would need to host your own app...which is fine.  Your app consists of a single app.xml that defines the app structure and then a series of HTTP requests that return HTML, JS, CSS etc...so I'm optimistic it would work just fine.

- Does anyone have any examples of Jive apps built on PHP? Do you have any links to a community of developers who are working that way? (i.e. what's the eco-system like for PHP Jive Apps?)

We have small fragments of code that can help you with PHP.  Butch Marshall is the most knowledge community developer I know of ...and some of his code is shared in the jive-sdk-php project on Github (granted not much, but its the bare minimum).  He also gave a great talk at JiveWorld16 you can watch, Building Jive Add-Ons Your Way

- Does anyone have any examples of Jive apps built on Angular.js? Do you have any links to a community of developers who are working that way? (i.e. what's the eco-system like for Angular.js Jive Apps?)

- Is there a preferred technology that you would recommend based on resources, support and a wider developer eco-system?

Most of our PS organization uses AngularJS today, so Drew Teeter may be able to comment more, but in general...the Jive layer of your integration is scaffolding that doesn't restrict the use of most JS libraries.  Once you wire in the Jive context methods and values, you can pretty much do whatever you need to do in your App (which is literally your own iframe).

I would recommend using the Getting Started > Creating an App with the Jive Node SDK to build out your add-on structure and then reference the clientUrl to your remote hosting agent.  The add-on is simply meta-data that points Jive in the right direction...so having your add-on and your CakePHP projects as two separate projects makes sense.  You'll just use the node-sdk to help build/organize the metadata in your add-on.  Dont forget the Jive Apps (OpenSocial) - Developer Resources and App Action Contribution Reference to help complement everything else I've referenced. =)

Hope that helps.

1 person found this helpful