9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2016 7:19 AM by tmaurer

Can We Suppress Anything in the Activity Feed?

Patty McEnaney

Hi All,

I am 99.9% that we can't suppress anything in the Activity feed. But, I've received this feedback a number of times: "Would be wonderful if I could suppress/hide/ignore document updates and profile updates in my Activity feed. It’s easy to miss questions and important information among the stream of noise these two activities create. I’ve heard others say it’s why they don’t use it."

I have suggested to community members to create Custom Streams, but that doesn't take things out of the Activity feed. We are on Jive 7.0 hosted. We are moving to Jive 8.0.3 in September. Any suggestions?

Patty

• Re: Can We Suppress Anything in the Activity Feed?
          gbrettmiller

We are on Jive 8 as well. As far as I know there is no way to set a stream filter to show only specific content / activity types, but not others. The exception being the ability to filter the stream to show Status Updates only.

Within Groups and Spaces, we have had some success using the Recent Content widget and selecting only specific content types, but this only helps those who actually visit that place.

tmaurer

If you are talking about the main activity feed, the answer is no, you can't hide. You can direct them to individual streams, where they CAN hide content from displaying, as well as find good ways to separate content into manageable chunks.

When we were on Jive 7, I recommended people NOT use the full Activity feed as a default, since in a healthy community there is too much content for it to be helpful. Though I did find people who on a Friday might glance through it looking for interesting things to read. 

Patty McEnaney

Hi Tracy,

Thanks as usual for the thoughtful response. When you say, you recommended people NOT use the full Activity feed as a default, did you mean you didn't recommend the Overview page and encouraged them to use the Activity view instead?

Wish you were with us at our Co-working day. Here with Kevin Swallow looking at his beautiful Vox "Dojo" toolset, which includes Jive.

Patty

Patty McEnaney

Tracy,

If you can, please help me remember this. In Jive 7.0, if they follow the "Activity" page rather than the Overview page, what will they see? Only people, documents or spaces they follow or any time they are @mentioned? We rolled this out two years ago almost and I can't remember!!! I asked a community member to try out using the Activity page to cut down on "noise" and he is getting posts from people he doesn't follow, so it's confusing me. Thanks!

tmaurer

I'm not really sure what you mean, Patty. If you are talking about a place, you don't get a choice of following the Activity page instead of the Overview page. You follow the place, and any new content or content updates posted to the group are sent to the stream the place was followed in.

The best way to cut down on noise is to have the person set up custom streams. Then they can group things to see only what they want to see. And make sure that if they have a stream set to send to email, it is clearly marked (like don't turn email on in multiple streams).

Also, remember that if you follow a person, you won't just see new documents or blog posts. You'll also see comments. Sometimes I'll get notified about a blog post and be confused as to why, and it turns out that it was that someone I follow made a comment on it.

Finally, there are some people (you and me, for example) who your community members will NOT want to follow fully. I recommend that if people want to follow me, they only follow my blog - go to my profile, click Content, then the blog link, and then follow that. Otherwise they quickly get annoyed/overwhelmed.

Does that help?

Patty McEnaney

Sorry, Tracy, that I was vague. In Jive 7.0, on our "home" page, we can either pin the "Overview" page or the "Activity" page.  I'm trying to recall if someone pins the "Activity" page, what will be eliminated in their stream of activity. I know the Overview page includes all activity.

The rest of what you say makes complete sense. Thank you for responding!! We are moving to 8.0.3 in September, so this won't be an issue in a few months, I hope!

tmaurer

Pinning the activity stream doesn't change what is in it. They would need to then view individual streams to hide and/or cut out noise. Best option for those folks is to go to Preferences and set Inbox as their default, because that cuts immediately down on the noise factor. And yes, 8 will help with this since "all activity" is no longer the default view

Patty McEnaney

OK, I always feel less than fully with it talking with you as you are so far ahead of the learning curve. When you say go to Preferences and set Inbox as their Default, what does that mean? We have all three inbox settings turned on, as below. How does that cut down on the noise factor? Most people at our office have two screens, and one is usually on our Jive instance Overview page. Thanks. I promise, this is the last question I will ask about this.