12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2016 2:08 PM by socketz

Allowing others to edit my drafts

Toby Metcalf

Good day everyone,

I am uploading 200+ presentations to a community space.

The space was set up pre conference to give customers information about the conference: dates, topics, keynotes, hotel, etc.

Now the conference is over and I wish to upload the presentations and need to edit them after upload: Title, description, presenter, etc.

I would like to upload them as drafts then edit them in the draft stage.

I would like to allow team members to view and edit content that is in draft stage within this community.

Once it has been edited, it will be published.

Is it possible to give others access to edit my drafts without making them full access admins?

Thank you,

Toby

• Re: Allowing others to edit my drafts
          gbrettmiller

Toby,

We sometimes use the "Require approval before publication" feature to achieve what you are looking for. When you select that option, and then add the editor(s) you want to be able to make changes, only you and they will see the document. A quasi-draft state. The editor(s) can then go in and make the necessary changes and then publish the document.

1 person found this helpful
              Toby Metcalf

Thanks Brett, I will give it a test.

What I may also consider:

Bulk upload and save as draft.

Go into each doc (Grrr), and use the share.jpg button to assign articles to members of the editing team.

Sadly, it is easy to bulk upload, but not bulk edit :-(

Best,

Toby

Toby Metcalf

Another Follow-Up Brett,

I am working in TEST and have set up space approvers, however, I need some guidance here please:

1. A user creates a document in the space.
                2. The user clicks "Send for approval" and the document goes into an approval queue. The document isn't actually sent somewhere, but is marked for approval by the application.
                3. The approver will know when something needs approval by the alert in their Actions area.
                4. On the approver's Actions > Notifications page, there is a list of documents waiting to be approved.
                5. By clicking on a document, the approver can view the document and then approve or reject it. If they approve it (and if all other approvers approve it), the document will be published. If they reject it, they can enter an explanation and the document will be sent back to the author as a draft.
                6. The author can edit and resubmit the document.

When uploading or creating, I do not get the option to "Send for approval" no do I see a list of docs waiting for approval.

Using Jive 7 hosted.

Thank you,

Toby

gbrettmiller

Toby,

I'm not sure where those instructions you have come from, but it almost looks like that is something you set at the space level, where all content has to be approved? Almost like moderation.

When creating / editing  a Document or Uploaded File, here is what I see* in the Advanced Options section. So for each Document / File, you would need to make this selection, adding the appropriate person(s) to the approval list.

* We are running Jive 8 on-prem, the screenshot here is from the Jive Community and is the same I see on our site.

Toby Metcalf

Ah - so you need to select all the approvers correct?

Thank you,

Toby

gbrettmiller

In this case, you only need select the approvers necessary for the given document / file. If you want to assign the same set of multiple approvers, you can create and use Labels that include the people you need, and then add that Label in the Approvers field.

If you have multiple approvers, they would all have to approve it. Or, as we do in cases like this, the first person to make the needed edit would simply change the Advanced Options to uncheck the Approvers field and publish the document as they normally would.

socketz

G. Brett Miller

While I'm familiar with setting up and managing groups of people for various forms of native Jive document and space access (the feature mentioned above does not allow one to use a group, only individuals), this is the first I've heard of using labels for the same. How do you map users to a label?  If there are say 4 people attached to that label, will Jive require all 4 to approve the piece of moderated content? Or, like you mentioned above, the first one in just unchecks the approvers field, so its a non-issue.  Interesting concept for OOB Jive document management.

gbrettmiller

Labels are a personal / individual way for a user to organize their connections. If you go to the People page and select the Following filter, you will see an option to + Create Label, as well as any existing labels you already have. You can then add people to that label, and use that label in just about every situation you might otherwise use an individual's name.

For example, you can select a label for a DM, making it a personal distribution list of sorts (to use an email like analogy) or, as in this case, to easily add multiple people as approvers for a document.

Since the label is personal to you, Jive will convert that label to the individual members of the label and list them individually in the approvers field. At that point, the approvers feature behaves as normal.

Hope this helps.

Toby Metcalf

"If you have multiple approvers, they would all have to approve it. Or, as we do in cases like this, the first person to make the needed edit would simply change the Advanced Options to uncheck the Approvers field and publish the document as they normally would."

Thanks Brett - going to try this as I have so many docs, I have a team to edit and approve.  As long as one can uncheck the others, that will work fine.  I will test it.

Thanks again.

Best,

Toby