9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2016 11:41 AM by Billy Volpone

Tiles: Blogs and "Customer Spotlights"

rreiss

Hello,

I am currently building a Community Site for my organization, and have a few questions about the functionalities of Tiles.  It is possible that what I'm seeking could be custom, but if there is some way to implement it without custom work, that would be great.

One of my pages is a Customer Corner, which will have a Customer Blog feature.  While the Blogs will be on their own separate page, I would like to have a preview of the most recent post on the main page in the form of an image and perhaps a few-sentence heading, that you could click into and be redirected to the main blogs page.  Is this possible to do in a tile?

Additionally, I would like to do a "Customer Spotlight" feature, in which the photo of a valued customer is featured, along with a small quote.  Ideally, users would click on the quote and a pop-up with the Customer's full bio would open.  Are pop-ups possible?  Or does anyone have suggestions for something similar?

Thanks!

Rachel R.

• Re: Tiles: Blogs and "Customer Spotlights"
          Billy Volpone

Great post Rachel. I think from a tile perspective, there are still a few items that need to be replaced, when looking at "tiles vs widgets". There is a blog widget that would allow you to do what you're asking, but the current 'latest blog post' tile doesn't do a summary preview or picture. It's lists the items out though based on recency. If you wanted a richer experience, the HTML tile could work wonders for this and is used quite often for that purpose. The example that springs to mind is how Macmillan deployed their groups:

https://community.macmillan.com/community/the-english-community

Now with the landing page, when leveraging our "News" feature and therefore intelligent streams, blogs and other content does show up in the way your describe:

homepagemac.PNG

Finally, specific to featured users, this is also a common ask and deployment function. While there is a featured user tile, I've often instead seen the "Image gallery" tile used because it will allow for a roll-over pop up message of sorts, along with a link below the image to whatever community place (or outside page for that matter) you'd like to route the user to. In this screenshot below, I'm using it to showcase a featured person/partner.

featured user tile.PNG

rreiss

Billy Volpone In browsing on the MacMillan site, I saw two examples of exactly what I'm hoping to add to my community. 

#1 - Is this just a superlist?  How do I get the "more" hyperlink which redirects me to a page with the full post?  Is there any way to add an image next to the text preview?

Capture.PNG

#2 - Is this HTML?  I'd love to have an image and then quote from the customer, that you can click and link to their full spotlight interview.

Capture2.PNG

Thank you!

Billy Volpone

Great find Rachel, on that blog tile. I'm honestly not sure if that is an out of the box tile they are repurposing for the summaries (similar to how I used a gallery tile to feature a user above), but that site is on our cloud deployment and therefore should have this option out of the box. At the most, it would be using the HTML tile, which your lowest picture (the Bedford Bits image) is.

The main page and "News" feature is something that more and more are using for their landing page, or at least an seconardy landing page. It's our recommendation engine with a mix of tiles to showcase the most important content instead of just recent content. That specific "News" feature though is only for the general homepage and isn't a group by group function. But looks like you have already found how we can also do this in a group. Happy to connect with our design team to explore more. As a side note though, is your deployment currently on cloud?

rreiss

Billy Volpone yes, it is on cloud.

rreiss

Also, the following is a prime example of the layout I'd love for my blog page!  Just a square image next to a text preview.  How do I get this?

Capture.PNG

Billy Volpone

Again, that's the "News" feature specifically. You would need to turn that on via the admin console and either leverage that as your new homepage or via a secondary landing page. The purpose of that view is to allow you both auto-trending functions, as well as your ability to cater certain feeds to certain users (ie: customer feed compared to partner feed). But that specific look/feel isn't going to be a tile that you turn on within a group or space. To do that, you'll need to leverage the HTML tile.

rreiss

Thanks so much Billy Volpone - the News feature I was aware of; it was the HTML piece that I was missing.  Appreciate your help!