8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2016 8:37 AM by noelwhite

Animated GIF

sheltonjb

Hi, I created an animated gif to use as the hero image on the homepage, but for some reason the JIVE system doesn't let it animate. i've checked outside of jive to see that i did create it properly and it works but as soon as i upload it to jive it doesn't work.

Any idea's what this could be?

thanks

Shelton

• Re: Animated GIF
          sheltonjb

any ideas guys?

will this be fixed in the forthcoming release friday?

jlevi

I tested in a demo environment and it didn't animate for me.  I have posted this internally to see what products or engineering has to say.  You could also, as Scott A Johnson says, open a support case as there may already be an improvement or bug filed for this.

noelwhite

Interestingly, Banners do animate GIFs.  This leads to some really horrible looking sites if not used tastefully.

this is definitely a product support issue.  I know that blog post header images support animated GIFs...so it's not impossible, but it's not something that you can tweak via the Developer Platform.

sheltonjb

Don't worry Noel, I can manage the look of it.

Ryan, do you think the update Friday will fix it? we have our business 'values' cycling through at the top of the page, but obviously it's not cycling so it's just stuck on one - see this red banner at the top. i even tried a html block, but the embedding seems to interfere with how it works because when i test it outside of jive on a static html file it works well, in jive, it cycles then has blank white spaces in between.

i'm new here, so should  i go ahead and open a support ticket? if so, where do i do that?

bikeshed.PNG

sheltonjb

Not to worry guys, I had previously tried a pure CSS slideshow, but this time i created a javascript one and that seems to work fine.

probably worth keeping the animated gif thing on your radar though.

cheers

noelwhite

It sounds like you did this yourself already, but I wanted to let you know we have a Picture Carousel widget available in UX Widgets.  Once set up in your community, you just create documents with a table with the pictures, links, descriptions, etc and feed them into a builder app.  It will then build carousel code that you simply paste into an HTML widget to generate a carousel on your page.  This is works great if you have a lot of group admins that are not very technical.