73 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2017 9:50 AM by tmaurer

3 things on my wish-list for Jive Daily

clairetaz

Jive Daily is an awesome app and I had high hopes that it would tip our skeptics .... BUT there are a couple of things high on my wish list. I wonder if others feel the same or if there are any developments in the pipeline to address these challenges.

1. Company News Stream (want to share sourced stories)
        • Share with stream: We want to be able to have one stream that is pushed to users that contains the Top News from the company. To do this today we would have to post ALL news articles into a blog or group. It is much better to source stories from all over the platform. Senior leaders are now blogging in places dedicated to strategy, or finance for example. Employees are contributing wonderful content. We want specific individuals in the comms team to be able to 'Share' that news to our company news stream and have it appear in Jive Daily. Not being able to 'share' in the stream is a big problem.
            • Another similar use case for sharing with a group needing to show in the stream for that group: we created an EU Referendum Info group for all questions around Brexit. Great... all the questions posted there and conversations are showing in the stream. But then people all over the platform are blogging, updating, and 'sharing' to that group. The group looks great, but when you create your stream for the group and look at it in Jive Daily... you don't see any of that shared content. Some of that shared content is top news. It really makes Jive Daily look amateur. I did find a workaround in that content shared to the group by Jive Anywhere does show up in the stream.
        • Pin to top of stream: We also want to be able to 'pin' certain stories to the top of the Daily stream. Here is a scenario... CEO posts something extremely important to our company news blog. Then a 'badge geek' (someone who likes points)... adds a comment to a blog from 2 years ago. CEO looks at his Jive Daily App and what does he see at the top of the company news stream? ... a 2-year old piece of content. The real news is getting lost.

2. Group Pages (where are they?)
        • We made a huge push to convert our Overviews and Widgets to Pages and Tiles. The marketing 'sell' was that these pages and tiles would be mobile-responsive. Then the Jive Daily App comes out and is fabulous BUT... pages don't show up. It comes up in EVERY Jive Daily demo and training session. "Show me the pages" ...
        • Also when you go to Find... the first thing you see is suggested groups. Why? (especially when going to groups is not efficient without pages). It is not intuitive that you have to first click in Search to find people. It would be better to have the view with 'Search -> people / content / places' show when you click on Find.

3. Make Streams more intuitive
        • Hidden in News... the fabulous streams are not intuitive. Light grey... almost invisible... a tiny + sign to create and  a tiny pencil to edit. Let's make them big and prominent. I encourage people to 'clean their streams' to bring relevancy to their Jive Daily App... it could be so much easier.
        • Re: 3 things on my wish-list for Jive Daily
          tmaurer

We are in early stages of our move to Cloud so not using Jive Daily yet. But I can for sure see these three items dogging us as well. Thanks for this post!! And here's hoping that Mor Avital or someone on the product team can give us some insight on where the app is headed. 

1 person found this helpful
            mavital

This is fantastic feedback and insight. Thank you Claire for taking the time to share it, and Tracy for @mentioning me else I may have missed it and I'm really glad I didn't. I'll give my thoughts and insights, and welcome anyone to elaborate or weigh in.

Share with stream: We want to be able to have one stream that is pushed to users that contains the Top News from the company.

If I'm understanding correctly, you want a stream that you don't have to curate by Place(s), but rather that you can push any content from any place into, and have it be shared with everyone. In today's world you can create a stream that is pushed to everyone and includes content from specific places, but it doesn't necessarily capture every post your executives make because they may make those important posts elsewhere? Did I understand that correctly? If so, this is an interesting idea, but not one we would implement directly into Daily. Instead it would be something built into Jive-n (much like custom streams today) and then Daily would be able to show those in the app. I'll bring in Jeremy Grant and Marnie Pasciuto-Wood to see if they have any thoughts on this.

The group looks great, but when you create your stream for the group and look at it in Jive Daily... you don't see any of that shared content.

Believe it or not, we were just discussing this today. We noticed the discrepancy between stream activity/content in Jive-n and in Daily, and we're digging into what makes more sense to change. Historically it may have been limited so as not to overwhelm the mobile stream and keep it cleaner. Or it may be a holdover from when Daily was a standalone app and not integrated with Jive-n. However you are right, when you're sharing something to a group or @mentioning a group, if that group is part of a stream it should show up in that stream. I don't know how this will play out fully yet, we're still experimenting, but I think we're both thinking the same thing here which is great.

Pin to top of stream: We also want to be able to 'pin' certain stories to the top of the Daily stream.

Do you want this just in the Daily stream, or in the stream in your community as well? I assume it's in both, as important news should be visible regardless of where your employee is reading them. In Jive-n you can highlight such content by making it an announcement, thus literally pinning it to the top of the page. Announcements do show up in Daily, but they don't get pinned to the top just because of the way it's laid out. This is something we're considering for the roadmap, so it's good to hear feedback. In regard to pinning to the top of the stream in Jive-n, I would defer to Jeremy on that or to whomever he thinks would be best to handle it, but in general I completely understand your point here.

Group Pages (where are they?)

I've heard this one a couple of times recently, and so it's something we'll start to review internally to see what makes sense. Pages are great, but can potentially get a bit tricky to display in the app - both because of the content on them and because of the number of pages that can be in a group. It's very important to us that the look and feel of Daily remain sleek and navigable, but you're right that it should also include critical content.

In as far as Tiles go, this is under active review right now. We absolutely plan to support more tiles, and are already starting to work on doing that. I'd love to hear from everyone here how many tiles they have, which type of tiles they use most often, and which ones would be most critical to show in Daily. This sort of feedback would help us hone our efforts where they'd make the most impact.

Also when you go to Find... the first thing you see is suggested groups. Why?

I was not involved as part of the original design for this so I can't say for certain, but my assumption is that it was a matter of discoverability. Particularly for a user who isn't very active, it's nice to give them a sense of what's going on in the Community and a place to start looking. That being said, we recently redesigned the whole Find experience, and as part of that split it up into Search and Browse.  When you go to Search you'll now see that it's showing you recently viewed content/places/people instead of suggested, which makes more sense in a Search scenario. When you go to Browse you'll see a mix of "your" places - which are places you frequently viewed, are following, or own - as well as recently bookmarked content.

Hidden in News... the fabulous streams are not intuitive. Light grey... almost invisible... a tiny + sign to create and  a tiny pencil to edit.

You are referring to creating/editing streams in Jive-n? Daily is more of a way to consume streams, so we don't focus on creating or editing them there.

Thank you again, and please do keep sharing your thoughts and feedback!

3 people found this helpful
                clairetaz

Thanks Tracy Maurer for bringing this to Mor.. and to you Mor for the fast response.

Share with stream: We want to be able to have one stream that is pushed to users that contains the Top News from the company.

Mor: If I'm understanding correctly, you want a stream that you don't have to curate by Place(s), but rather that you can push any content from any place into, and have it be shared with everyone. In today's world you can create a stream that is pushed to everyone and includes content from specific places, but it doesn't necessarily capture every post your executives make because they may make those important posts elsewhere? Did I understand that correctly? If so, this is an interesting idea, but not one we would implement directly into Daily. Instead it would be something built into Jive-n (much like custom streams today) and then Daily would be able to show those in the app. I'll bring in Jeremy Grant and Marnie Pasciuto-Wood to see if they have any thoughts on this.

Claire >> Exactly right and yes I know it wouldn't be managed in Jive Daily, instead in Jive-n like the custom streams (and preferably by specific individuals who 'own' that company news stream. I would see this being what would eventually feed as a 'homepage stream' too.

The group looks great, but when you create your stream for the group and look at it in Jive Daily... you don't see any of that shared content.

Mor: Believe it or not, we were just discussing this today. We noticed the discrepancy between stream activity/content in Jive-n and in Daily, and we're digging into what makes more sense to change. Historically it may have been limited so as not to overwhelm the mobile stream and keep it cleaner. Or it may be a holdover from when Daily was a standalone app and not integrated with Jive-n. However you are right, when you're sharing something to a group or @mentioning a group, if that group is part of a stream it should show up in that stream. I don't know how this will play out fully yet, we're still experimenting, but I think we're both thinking the same thing here which is great.

Claire >> Great... I would expect that if you remove a shared piece of content from your group, it also goes away from the stream

Pin to top of stream: We also want to be able to 'pin' certain stories to the top of the Daily stream.

Mor: Do you want this just in the Daily stream, or in the stream in your community as well? I assume it's in both, as important news should be visible regardless of where your employee is reading them. In Jive-n you can highlight such content by making it an announcement, thus literally pinning it to the top of the page. Announcements do show up in Daily, but they don't get pinned to the top just because of the way it's laid out. This is something we're considering for the roadmap, so it's good to hear feedback. In regard to pinning to the top of the stream in Jive-n, I would defer to Jeremy on that or to whomever he thinks would be best to handle it, but in general I completely understand your point here.

Claire >> I would say both - you are right - important news needs to be top of the stream regardless of where you are reading...

Group Pages (where are they?)

Mor: I've heard this one a couple of times recently, and so it's something we'll start to review internally to see what makes sense. Pages are great, but can potentially get a bit tricky to display in the app - both because of the content on them and because of the number of pages that can be in a group. It's very important to us that the look and feel of Daily remain sleek and navigable, but you're right that it should also include critical content.

In as far as Tiles go, this is under active review right now. We absolutely plan to support more tiles, and are already starting to work on doing that. I'd love to hear from everyone here how many tiles they have, which type of tiles they use most often, and which ones would be most critical to show in Daily. This sort of feedback would help us hone our efforts where they'd make the most impact.

Claire >> I agree it needs to be sleek and navigable - but the page is the place people are most comfortable going to 'find' their content. I'm not sure why we moved to mobile-responsive tiles if they can't be shown in mobile. I will look into feedback on 'most-used' tiles.

Also when you go to Find... the first thing you see is suggested groups. Why?

I was not involved as part of the original design for this so I can't say for certain, but my assumption is that it was a matter of discoverability. Particularly for a user who isn't very active, it's nice to give them a sense of what's going on in the Community and a place to start looking. That being said, we recently redesigned the whole Find experience, and as part of that split it up into Search and Browse.  When you go to Search you'll now see that it's showing you recently viewed content/places/people instead of suggested, which makes more sense in a Search scenario. When you go to Browse you'll see a mix of "your" places - which are places you frequently viewed, are following, or own - as well as recently bookmarked content.

Claire>> One of our huge use cases is to find people / contact info fast when on the move. We would like to see Find > People very prominently. I haven't seen the 16.2 version yet but look forward to it! Recently viewed makes sense.

Hidden in News... the fabulous streams are not intuitive. Light grey... almost invisible... a tiny + sign to create and  a tiny pencil to edit.

You are referring to creating/editing streams in Jive-n? Daily is more of a way to consume streams, so we don't focus on creating or editing them there.

Claire >> Yes I am referring to creating and editing streams in Jive-n. Essential for a useful Daily App. I am training people to create them and clean up their old ones as I train on Jive Daily. It is the thing that makes the App super relevant. Our Execs are encouraged to follow each other in a stream and we are training ALL their assistants to help them set that up.

Thanks so much for your feedback and consideration of needs.

tmaurer

My input.

1. Share with stream: We have had huge feedback from users that they really like having a curated experience, so the ability to add content to a stream based on a tag or some other mechanism would be really helpful. And I agree that it would also be helpful to assign this ability to people outside of admins (i.e. the people who have been given News Stream permissions).
                    2. Shared content in stream: VERY important! We teach people to share so they reach their audience, and if the audience is mobile, we need to ensure a consistent experience. I really don't want to have to go back to telling people to do a second "lightweight" post in multiple places.
                    3. Pinning content: Yes, you can use an announcement to "pin" something to the top of the News page. That said, we don't often use announcements for newsworthy content. Announcements are used for the same kinds of things you might announce over a loudspeaker, and that sure wouldn't be the recent acquisition of a competitor. Pinning a blog post would periodically be very helpful for Jive-N platforms.
                    4. Pages showing in Jive Daily: Pages ABSOLUTELY need to be part of the app. At the very least, the default first page created should be. People don't just want to see activity in a group, but want navigation, and that is what we've been using the pages for - to create contextual links. Yes, lots of people use search. That said, on a corporate intranet, lots are still expecting to use navigation (regardless of how we train them). So this request is an attempt to meet our users where they are instead of teaching them to come to us.

Hope this helps as well!

clairetaz

Mor Avital - any news on the ability to Share content to a Company News stream on the Jive Daily app (or group that is in that stream)?

Use Case: Today an SVP blogged (in his own blog) and it is published in the Top Story of our Homepage BUT it does not appear in our 'Company News' stream on Jive Daily. This is an absolute blocker to us rolling out the app.

thanks for any news...

Kathryn

Hi Mor!  Just piling on.  I'm currently working on a way to have TWO newstreams. 

1)  Must Read Feed;

2)  Your News

The Must Read is a composite of global and personalized news that is deemed CRITICAL for your job, and "Your News" is global and personalized news that is helpful and adds context.  To implement this, I have to create a Must Read place for my global audience and one for each business unit, in addition to having the a regular place for global messages and each business unit.  This really complicates how to communicate.  It would be easier to have one blog (or place) and identify which posts should go in the "Must Read" feed versus what should go in the Your News feed.  Even if I just shared some posts to the "must read feed" that would be SO much easier.  But Jive-n and Daily have different behaviour so we can't depend on using sharing to get things pushed to the right stream.  We're really looking forward to doing a bigger launch with Daily, but this is something we need to work out first.   Thanks!

tburak

Hi all - for my 2 cents - I really just want the basics -

- click to dial, email a person - believe this is now sorted

- ability to see something of the groups / spaces overview page on mobile, even if just the 'group settings' to let people know where they are

Case Study

- we have an office page (group) for each one of our global offices - on desktop, (overview page, with widgets, not yet tiles).  At minimum, we would at least like to see the group / space settings appear, not having to click on '...'

On Jive Daily - not really all that helpful!

clairetaz

Mor Avital do you have any updates on the ability to Share content to appear in a Jive Daily "Company News" stream? I have a meeting tomorrow with some senior stakeholders. Thank you.

clairetaz

Mor Avital  I confirm that @mentioning our corporate blog in a comment on the content we want to share in our Company News stream now works. Appreciate progress here... thanks! I do consider this a bit of a workaround while getting 'Share' to work because we have been pushing people to stop commenting with @mentions (so as not to spam followers etc) .... but at least we can now get the content in there.

Note other wish list items for this Company News stream:

• 'Pin' a Top Story to the top of a Co News stream
                          • Ability to re-order the streams as they appear under News on the Jive Daily app so that we can make Company News stream appear at or near the top. With the addition of custom streams it gets pushed down the list.
                              mavital

@mention work has started but has not been fully implemented yet. We're still working on making it a cohesive experience that covers all edge cases, so you can expect to see more changes to that coming soon.

Pinning a news item to the top of the stream is something we've thought about doing but in terms of announcements, much like there is in Jive-n. There's no concept in Jive-n of pinning an item to the top of custom streams, but we do have announcements that serve a similar purpose either at the system level or within a place. How do you currently handle this need in Jive-n in your community?

Re-ordering the streams is something we are taking a look at, but haven't come to a firm conclusion on yet. Are you reordering the streams in your community and want Daily to follow the same order?

Keeley Sorokti

Mary Garwood and emixon -- let's discuss -- great discussion here and very timely.

Keeley Sorokti

I can't seem to get my Following stream in Jive Daily. Is it possible to have it included?

clairetaz

Mor Avital I have another wish list item for Jive Daily

Requirement: I would like to be able to Follow a blog in Jive Daily.

Here is the business scenario:

We have some people going to a conference, and we will publish a Live Blog in a group, and it will be featured on our Homepage. We are asking the conference participants to follow the blog in Jive Daily and comment on it during the conference. We can get the blog into the Company News stream by @mentioning in comment.

BUT - you can't go to a blog e.g. in the Jive Daily Company News stream and 'Follow it in Inbox' which is what I was going to recommend.

Workaround:

Ask them to Follow in Inbox on their laptops, then they will see updates on Jive Daily on their phones during the conference. This won't work if they only take their phones to the conference.

Am I missing something? Everyone... let me know if you have better workarounds for this scenario please

Kathryn

Yes - blogs are a real problem.  Given that they are typically THE communication channel and Daily is optimized for internal comms, it is weird that you cannot navigate to a blog in Jive Daily the way you can a place.  So, in your example, if you did a "workaround" where you just had a link to the blog, no one could use the link with Jive Daily (it works on a browser).  I assumed this was a bug, but Jive Support tells me that blogs as a container type is not supported (I think it is the only container not supported), and filed my issue as an enhancement request. 

But what you are asking for makes a ton of sense.  So weird - accessing and following blogs seems to be a total miss.  

Kathryn

Um.  And I'd like to access on-demand translation.  

moby

Hello folks. I'm glad (but then also not so glad) to not be the first one who stumbled onto and be surprised by the lack of parity between jive-n and daily places, specifically Tiles. I applaud Jive for the quick pivot from the original scope of Daily (News reader) to Jive-N-mirror, but there's a gap to be bridged.

I saw this list in another thread (below), and would like to add my voice to this throng calling for navigation (pages>tabs) and tile parity in Daily. As our News rollout progresses (in next months), our early adopters of Daily will be crying for it! We also will need it for our deskless workers (production manufacturing staff, lab tech staff, clean room staff) who work in areas where computing is highly restricted.

For many months (years?) Jive has told us to move to Tiles for a "better mobile experience", but consumers expect app-, not mobile-browser-experiences.  Should I change gears and push more for mobile browser as the preferred mobile experience?

--Mike.

• banner
                                        • featured content
                                        • key content and places
                                        • finalized content
                                        • recent decisions
                                        • top participants
                                        • leaderboard
                                            kim.nelson

I don't push daily at all because of the disparity.  Once all tiles are visible on Daily, then I will promote it. Until then, it causes confusion. The mobile browser is a better experience.

clairetaz

I have still been pushing the App but not as much as I would like to. I share it very much as a way to view company and custom stream activity + Inbox, and to look up colleagues. These are the most powerful use cases, however, users need to learn first how to setup those streams. I am really focusing on that a lot in my Orientation training, and I show the mobile stream along with the desk-top stream alongside each other while training. It's a wonderful thing when employees realize they can stream the activity from their group/project into their daily app.

The question I get frequently is: "why doesn't my daily stream match what is in my group" (this is the issue with 'Share with group' not showing in Daily). That one for me is just ahead of showing the group pages/tiles.

tmaurer

We push the app as a great "click to call" option for employees, and an easy way to post status updates with photos directly from your phone. We don't (yet) have any big mobile power users. BUT I feel like a fraud telling people to move from Overview to Activity pages because of mobile responsiveness when that is only half true. Browser experience is great for a tablet, but not so much for a phone.

Ted Hopton

I've read through all the comments in this useful thread, and perhaps I missed it but I don't see any calling out an essential flaw in Jive Daily's presentation of places: Jive Daily displays no "Home Page" or tiles for any place that has a landing page other than the Activity page. Or to put it another way, if you want tiles to be displayed for your group in Jive Daily you may not create any pages for the group -- just limit yourself to the Activity page alone.

This is a huge problem. Now if only the tiles on the Activity page were displayed in Jive Daily, even when you create additional pages, I could live with that for a while. But many groups need full-featured landing pages beyond the Activity page, and taking advantage of that feature should NOT cripple them in the Jive Daily app.

kim.nelson

Ted you nailed it. I don't even publicize the app for just this reason. The native browser provides full tile visibility within places, so that's what I tell our users to use.

2 people found this helpful
                                                      clairetaz

Hi Ted

Agree 100%. It is #2 on my wish list up there.

Despite not showing mobile-responsive pages, I'm still trying to pitch it as a 'news-app' but we get pushback because we can't put our important 'company news' stream at the top (News Highlights unfortunately includes 'everything' you follow)... and then the custom streams lack any content that is shared with a group you are following so there is a mis-match of the stream on your phone and computer.

Sarah O'Meara

Hey Ted / everyone,  I've notified the person in charge of Jive Daily of your helpful comments. Thank you for your feedback!

Stephanie Standring

Ted, Thank you for posting the comment!

My biggest peev with the Jive Daily app is the Home page display (I believe this might be specific to Android devices). We use News, and on the Instance have the Hero Banner followed by 4 tiles that show off prior featured items. When you open up Jive Daily it does not do any justice to the images we have created on our home page, examples below of the comparison.

desktop.png Android.png

I thought this was an issue so I reported it to Jive support. They advised that the Jive Daily App does not support the images (of any size) on that News page, and there is currently no way to turn off these features just in Jive Daily. So essentially we are stuck with a not so good looking News landing page in Jive Daily, and can't turn it off, because that would require us to change the desktop version, which is something we are not going to do for the amount of usage we get on the app.

I have received feedback from many of our community owners that they would like some of the tiles/widgets to be visible in Jive Daily, and that is the reason why they do not push usage of the app.

5 people found this helpful
                                                          clairetaz

I want to THANK Jive for delivering on the Ordering of streams in Jive Daily. I now see the Company News streams at the top in a section (just below the round-up and top & trending), with the custom streams listed separately below. Excellent!

clairetaz

I have another wish-list item for Jive Daily: SEARCH FOR AN EXPERT

We have an important use case for sales people to find fast answers by connecting with experts in different skill-areas.

Simply using the profile skill tag could be an option but this isn't (as far as I can see) searchable in the people-search in Jive Daily. You can't search for people by tag.

So... it is added to my wish list

Please do comment with an alternative for my use case... how do others find experts on the road?

clairetaz

I see my wish list #2 delivered - WE HAVE PAGES IN JIVE DAILY. Thank you.

clairetaz

List of issues we have reported with the Pages (just for info and discussion here to find out if others are experiencing the same thing):

1. Click carousel tile in the page goes nowhere
                                                                2. Click banner tile in the page goes nowhere
                                                                3. Click Latest blog in the page goes nowhere
                                                                4. Link to project goes nowhere
                                                                5. All banner tiles show up even if hidden on the page
                                                                6. Captions on banners show up even if hidden on the page

Let's share our challenges! The first 4 above are blocking my Jive Daily promotion. It's great to have pages but we need the links to work.

tburak

1. Stats

2. Metrics

3. Anything to tell me how many people have downloaded the app, by people profile filters - similar to the CMR reports

clairetaz

We are currently having to delay a high profile launch of Jive Daily that was planned for leadership to test it after launch of the pages. We can't reach content when clicking on banners, carousels, blogs. The communications team were looking at other Apps to share content via mobile so this is a huge disappointment.

Jive... we have a ticket open on this. I am hoping for a solution!

Customers... do you have the same issues when clicking on carousels etc from the group pages in Jive Daily? Tracy Maurer can you check for me please?

tmaurer

Anyone on this thread have the list of tiles that now work in Daily? I know I just saw it on another thread, but am not finding it in search.

clairetaz

ANOTHER WISH for Jive Daily

• Add the employee's Location to the profile

I wonder why this would be omitted? The phone number is there so if you know the codes you can guess the location... but why not just add location.