2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 1:22 PM by David Bastedo

Comments on Known Issues document

Kara Francis

It appears that comments have been disabled on this document:  Known Issues in Jive-n and Jive-x Current Release (2016.2) .  I can understand that you don't want us to discuss specific issues there.  But I have a few questions about the document itself and the process.

1. Is the list of known issues based on things that are working "today" (pre-release), but will break once you deploy this release?  Or is this is a cumulative list of all known issues happening today as well as things that will break?
      2. If these are existing issues that we are already experiencing, could you include a date or release column of when the issue began?
      3. If some or all are new, can that be specified?
      4. Is there a threshold or quantity of Sev 1's or Sev 2's that you consider when deciding whether to move forward with a release vs. postponing it until more fixes can be included?
      5. What does the "appended list" refer to?
      6. For the issues fixed in wave 1, similar to above, can you share when the issue was first reported or which release caused the issue?
      7. When do you plan to post the "notable known issues"?  And what do you consider a notable known issue?  With the release happening tonight, I'm curious about this one.
      8. The waves appear to be for different audiences.  (the document says every two weeks)  For Jive-N instances, the release is happening tonight.  Will the next time we see fixes will be the maintenance release in two months?
        • Re: Comments on Known Issues document
          jgoldhammer

I would like too see more information from Jive, too. This would not only be a benefit for all customers, it would reduce support cases a lot. So Jive, please think about what you can do here.

As Software engineer and devops guy I would recommend an automated approach which updates this document  from your JIRA instance in the background...

Thanks
          Jens

• Re: Comments on Known Issues document
            David Bastedo

Hi Kara - Thanks for the questions! We've been managing this type of Cloud known issues list for several cloud releases now, and we've been improving it each time, so I really appreciate the questions and feedback.

1. Is the list of known issues based on things that are working "today" (pre-release), but will break once you deploy this release?  Or is this is a cumulative list of all known issues happening today as well as things that will break?

The list is most relevant for customers who have recently upgraded to the newest version of Jive Cloud. So for example, if your upgrade window is in wave 2, but we are only in wave 1 right now, then the list will include some issues that do not impact your instance. Unfortunately with the way that we're generating the list of issues we don't have a way to differentiate what waves each issue is found in.  

2. If these are existing issues that we are already experiencing, could you include a date or release column of when the issue began?

I'll bring this feedback back to our engineering and docs team to see what our options are. Our priority at this point is to share out the known issues we are aware of so that community managers can better understand whether or not they are experiencing something Jive is already aware of or if it is a new problem that we have yet to identify.

3. If some or all are new, can that be specified?

Similar to the previous question, we can look into adding an additional field to help out here.

4. Is there a threshold or quantity of Sev 1's or Sev 2's that you consider when deciding whether to move forward with a release vs. postponing it until more fixes can be included?

The Jive engineering team is continuously monitoring the list of open issues across all severities when determining whether or not to move forward with a scheduled update. The initial list of known issues that is published in Jive Community is generated after the release has been finalized and made ready for launch. The list is also updated throughout the various upgrade waves to include issues that have since been fixed or newly identified. This list is generated specifically to call out issues that would impact customers and end-users.

5. What does the "appended list" refer to?

The appended list is a second list of issues that we are planning to have fixed in one of the upcoming 2016.2 wave releases, although this list may change depending on scheduling and priorities of other incoming issues. We're also trying to find a way to combine the tables or add additional data columns to make this more clear.

In the meantime, I've added some additional text to the top of the table to help address any confusion.

6. For the issues fixed in wave 1, similar to above, can you share when the issue was first reported or which release caused the issue?

Similar to Q2, I'll work internally to see if we can update our processes to include this additional data point.

7. When do you plan to post the "notable known issues"?  And what do you consider a notable known issue?  With the release happening tonight, I'm curious about this one.

This is a section that we update as soon as the update goes live and we start to see actual customer site activity and usage. This section will highlight the most impactful issues that customers are likely to see immediately after the upgrade - We will also include any workarounds if possible.

8. The waves appear to be for different audiences.  (the document says every two weeks)  For Jive-N instances, the release is happening tonight.  Will the next time we see fixes will be the maintenance release in two months?

Customers who are upgraded in the early waves will not need to wait until September to receive fixes that are included in later waves.

Maintenance updates, which will include fixes from all waves, will be applied to all previously upgraded sites throughout the various wave updates. This means that Jive-n customers who are upgraded on 7/15 in wave 1 will actually get maintenance updates on Aug 2-3, Aug 16-17, and Sept 6-8.  You can see more details about the upgrade schedule at 2016.2 Cloud Release | Upgrade Schedules: Jive-n / Jive-x Preview & Production Upgrades

1 person found this helpful