18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2016 5:06 AM by communitygecko

Gated communities for support

communitygecko

I am researching a few things related to gated (private or paid) communities that support products/services. To the extent that anyone can or is willing to answer these questions:

1. How much "skin in the game" do you provision? What I am trying to understand from an industry perspective is how heavily are you invested in answering customer questions versus depending on your users to answer the questions? What would you say is the percentage (i.e. you 60%, customers 40%)?
      2. If you have more skin in the game, what are the key engagement activities you participate in? For instance, is your focus on threads/questions? Knowledge/documents? Something else?
      3. If your customers are doing the heavy lifting, what programs have you established that recognize and/or reward their effort? Anything else that provides incentive, enthusiasm or encouragement?

Thank you so much in advance for any insight you can share on how you handle this! It is obviously much more geared in a B2B model, but if you are doing something like it in a B2C model that would be really interesting to hear about as well.

• Re: Gated communities for support
          jsummers

They why we set this up at my last support community was the question posted by customers if were not responded to with in set sla auto open a case to have support rep respond. with this model we were able to show significant Call reduction and increase in customer Sat.

We still need to get lunch and catch up. Let me know when you come into the office.

judicardinal

Akamai is an external B2B community that open to the public with some exceptions - like KB articles. We are currently looking at implementing the Case Escalation process with the CRM Connector (thank you Trapeze team - Jeff Moore).

I too would like some feedback on Rob's question & John - would love to hear more how you measure call deflection.

Thank you,

Judi

jsummers

My last community we were able to bring in usage data from live chat, phone, email and community into one system. from there you can show case deflection on real time. was cool set up that is for sure.

communitygecko

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but there are barriers to overcome to measuring deflection. The biggest one is that you simply can't prove that "communities deflect tickets" holistically. What I think can be done is:

• Sell those who are invested or care (i.e. management, stakeholders, etc) that the measurement will not be a holistic statement but rather based on what you *can do*. What can be done is to track a person based on their login or session. If they visited communities but did not log a ticket --- count 1 for the home team --- ticket deflected. The reason you can't do this holistically is because, as Judge Judy often says, you can't know or cite what is in the mind of another person. Today the person is trying to solve X/Y/Z. They don't find it; they think they found it only to realize later they did not; they tried it and it didn't work; and so on. The next day, problem still not solved, they come to your site and log a ticket which can't be proved one way or the other as a consequence of all activities that happened (or not) before.
                    • Educate those who are invested or care (i.e. management, stakeholders, etc) that there are other telling measurements that can be used as ROI or very important KPI's. Ones that I think are relevant include: responses marked correct, responses marked helpful (by originator - not the new Jive8 which causes us a problem in this regard), active (unique) participants trend and active contributions to keep the list short (there are others, for sure so add here what you know is concrete!).
                    • Programs and missions (if using Bunchball or Badgeville) that benefit some or many parts of the platform and users. At Oracle, we have programs visible to the public eye such as Ace's and Speaker Bureau and missions that emphasize expertise in a product area. It's not so much the badges and/or points that count here, but rather how many accomplish the it!

Just offering my $.02.

jeff.moore

Bobby Floujeh, do you have any info you can offer the group around how Trapeze is measuring case deflection?

bfloujeh

We capture the number of questions posted in Community, also
                            capture the number of questions that were answered correctly the difference
                            should be the case that make it in SF. We then check the SF record created by”
                            Jive User”.

I do agree with @Rob Shapiro but it gives us a rough idea.

socketz

I manage a professional developer community and have found that detailed technical answers get reused over and over again, so I am working on a means to reward our internal developers for their engagement within the community. Additionally, the new "Views of Answered Questions" CMR within Jive 8 has been really well received by Sr. Management (integrated into our dashboard). The question is how does that information map to an ROI equation which looks specifically at question/answer activity (i.e. good answers prevent new questions from being asked).

jeff.moore

I think it is pretty tricky to prove that answer activity and views of correctly answered questions result in a ROI. As Bobby stated above, because we don't allow direct case creation by our customers, it is easier for us to track how many questions get posed in our Community vs. how many end up actually generating a SFDC case. This difference for us is our case deflection metric.

You mention that you are working to reward your internal developers for their participation in the community. We have added community engagement metrics to all of our staff's performance scorecards to drive them towards answering more questions, driving more helpful responses, marking questions as correct and so on. This keeps community involvement front and center for all of our staff.

1 person found this helpful
                          jeff.moore

Hi Rob,

At Trapeze Group, we have implemented an external community that is fully gated. You must be an employee or customer of ours in order to gain access. What you see once you gain access is dependant on what products you own from our overall portfolio.

Our ultimate goal is to get to a strong case deflection percentage. We would love it if our customers started answering each other's questions so that we no longer have to. We first launched our external community in December of 2015 and have seen a steady increase in usage and participation since launch. In order to continue to foster the community as a preferred channel for support, our staff are continuing to answer customer questions directly and quickly. I would say that today, the split between Trapeze answered and customer answered is about 80%-20%. We are also trying to drive engagement in our community from ALL employees. So, we ask the entire organization to create content, comment on content, answer questions, etc. We are generating content for blogs, discussions, knowledge articles, documentation, etc.

As Judi alluded above, we have implemented the case escalation functionality of the CRM Connector. We refer to this as the No Question Left Behind use case. After 4 hours from creation, if the question does not have an answer that is marked as Correct on it, it will generate a case in our SFDC environment for one of support reps to track through the normal incident workflow. This is critical to ensure that all questions get answered one way or another and that nothing falls through the cracks.

We are looking hard at gamification to drive rewards and recognition for active and helpful contributors that sit in our customer base. We have not fully defined this yet but are hoping to implement this later this year or early next year once customer engagement is higher and our own participation requirements have fallen.

Hope that helps.

1 person found this helpful