2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 9:26 AM by jfritz

I need to upload several thousand MS Office documents. I have some files uploaded but I need to apply the original author and dates to the files. Can the files be uploaded with original meta data and/or can uploaded files be post processed with the proper

jfritz

I need to upload several thousand MS Office documents. I have some files uploaded but I need to apply the original author and dates to the files. Can the files be uploaded with original meta data in one operation, and/or can uploaded files be post processed with the proper meta data?

• Re: I need to upload several thousand MS Office documents. I have some files uploaded but I need to apply the original author and dates to the files. Can the files be uploaded with original meta data and/or can uploaded files be post processed with the pr

Hi Jim,

This can be completed with our REST API's in one request per file, after the file has been uploaded (multi-part request). You can assign authors and tags to each of the files:

Jive REST API v3.14 → File entity

You can run a batch request to not bog down your instance and minimize errors:

Jive REST API v3.14 → Batch service 

• Re: I need to upload several thousand MS Office documents. I have some files uploaded but I need to apply the original author and dates to the files. Can the files be uploaded with original meta data and/or can uploaded files be post processed with the pr
              jfritz

Thanks Rashed,

The updated metadata does not take effect  when applied at upload see:

url = self.jiveApiBaseUrl+"places/"+placeId+"/contents"

hd,lfn = os.path.split(path)

title,auth,cre,upd = Utils.my_olemeta(path)

cret = cre.strftime("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S")

updt = upd.strftime("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S")

dat = json.dumps({

"name" : contentLabel,

"type" : "file",

"parent" : self.jiveApiBaseUrl+"places/"+placeId,

"author" : {"formatted" : auth},

"published" : cret,

"updated" : updt,

"subject" : title,

"categories" : [contentLabel],

"content" : {

"type" : "text/html",

"text" : "<body><p>"+contentLabel+"</p></body>"

}})

This JSON payload was applied via CURL and was a successful upload except the dates and author were ignored. Was this a legitimate attempt?

To address the files uploaded with incorrect metadata, what is the most efficient method to identify the content to be updated, given either title or filename? The code below could  not find a non null contentID

url = '%ssearch/contents?filter=search(%s)'%(self.jiveApiBaseUrl,lfn) #URL of file to be updated

gret = self.__get(url)

for i in gret['list']:

if i["subject"] == title.decode("utf-8").lstrip() and i['status'] <> u'deleted' : #found file

did = i['contentID'] # Extract contentID of file   ########## Never found

break

url = '%scontents/%s'%(self.jiveApiBaseUrl,did)

doc = self.__get(url) # Read file dict'

doc['author']['name']['formatted'] = auth

doc['published'] = cret  # Sample data to update

doc['updated'] = updt    # Data looks good in dict before put

sdoc = json.dumps(doc)

putret = self.__putAs(url, sdoc)

My testing was done trying to update a single file, then the file was deleted.  The content search shows multiple, matches to title but ALL show status=deleted and contentID=null

How do I locate the file to update metadata?