12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2016 1:36 PM by Helen Chen

Can you make a document private to view?

kristengastaldo

I see that we're able to restrict who can edit a document, but is there a way to restrict who can see it (without putting it in a private space)?

I don't think I need an entire space for private things, but I would like to publish a document that only certain employees can see and contribute to.

We're an external community, using cloud.

• Re: Can you make a document private to view?
          lorilea

When you create the document, you'll have the option under Publish Location to select "specific people." There you can choose the names of those you'd like to be able to view it. It will be visible only to those you select.

1 person found this helpful
              socketz

Is this a Jive-X Cloud Specific feature.

I do not see a way under publish location to select specific users (below). 

lorilea

My apologies. I responded without checking the posting location. This is available in Jive-n.

Alex Nassi

I believe you have to "Enable the main navigation create menu" in Admin > System > Settings > Home Page to achieve this. We have this enabled in our Jive-n community, but not in Jive-x. This allows users to post to their own personal/private space and make the content private to only a subset of users:

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 10.44.22 AM.png

There are some drawbacks in my opinion of opening this up (allows users to post to their own container instead of specific spaces), but it is a nice feature to have.

socketz

I see. 

The container which the content is being created within is your own user container, not a traditional space/sub-space.

We disabled this feature as it is difficult to manage.

Thanks for the clarification

Mike

Alex Nassi

Exactly. I manage our Jive-x community, but help out in Jive-n too. It was difficult for me to wrap my head around initially. We also had a lot of content get "lost" since it was in someone's personal space and not easily accessible through the normal space structure.

When I'm working on drafts/testing or small projects though, similar to what Stuart McIntyre mentioned, I'll just create a private group.

socketz

Agree 100%.  While I understand theoretically why Jive enabled this feature (Community Engagement = Anyone sharing content, Anywhere with Anybody), the Private Group construct is much easier to wrap your head around in practice.

We now have well over 100 private groups setup for these types of one on one engagements between customers, partners, etc.  Private groups also make it a little easier to move content into the main community for others to leverage once deemed "sharable" by the group owner.

The topic of only allowing certain users to view a document when published has come up in the past:

i.e. Sales Manager for Account A wants to share with his/her team, but not the customer who is also a member of the same community.

So I could see this feature as a nice to have within private groups.

Billy Volpone

Michael, do you have Jive-n deployed internally for your teams? I mainly ask based on your most recent example of sharing content with what sounds like an employee team only. But if this content in question is simply being prepped with the intention of then pushing to the customer... should surely stay on the external network.

socketz

Not sure I understand the question Billy.  We are on Jive Hosted 8.x

There is no specific internal deployment, although we use Secret groups in this manner.

What I described is essentially the ability to share the editing of a single document among a small group, then, once an entire group is done and the edits verified, publish the document such that the entire group has visibility.

Require approval before publication (Advanced Feature shown above), when used with a label, can sort of accomplish the same thing but with a few limitations.

Billy Volpone

Perfect, thanks Michael, helps clarify greatly. I was more asking if said document would need to stay hidden, such as for that team only (now and moving forward). But since it is something that should be prepped, then opened up, I like all of the recommendations above around having a separate private area and then moving to the public one once finished.

2 people found this helpful
                              Helen Chen

If it is a short term use, you can just share it with specific people.  I encourage doing this for ad hoc content reviews before publishing.  If this is going to be done regularly, I would certainly go the secret group route.