5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2016 10:26 AM by Jennifer Kelley

SEO tips for Jive search engine

pphillip@wiley.com

Hello,

Following on from the SEO Webinar on 14 September, which was incredibly useful, and very well presented, are there any best practices or top tips to improve the results that are returned when using the Jive search engine?

We have a number of public communities that we use to support various product lines and brands, with a combination of public answers and community discussions (was well a routes to launch live chat and 'ask a question').  It would be useful to know how the internal Jive search engine indexes the public documents, if there is any search weighting between tags, subject or body on the article, or if all words are weighted equally.

In the presentation, the use of Keyword research tools were discussed, and how this can be used to ensure that search engines (like Google) find relevant articles on your site, and rank them higher in the list. Is there a report, or reporting functionality within Jive were we can observe the search termss that our customers are using (within the Jive search engine) and the results that are returned, so that we can identify knowledge gaps, incorrectly tagged articles, or where keywords need adding to documents.

thanks

Peter

• Re: SEO tips for Jive search engine

Hi,

Excellent question. Udit Shah is the product manager for Jive search and can help respond.

Thanks,

Anne

cc: Sterling Bailey & Jennifer Kelley

joshua.gellock

Jill Ross wrote:

Joshua Gellock Anne Bluntschli - Any advice you can provide here?

Search Engine Optimization (SEO)

Hi, Jill Ross -

A couple of "low hanging fruit" items:

• I disagree with a couple of Jennifer Kelley's comments: First up, "Jive looks at more content than Google." I disagree. Google has over 200 ranking factors and many of them are based on the content in a page. Jive's technology doesn't even factor in heading tags, while Google marks them as a staple in their webmaster guidelines. I also don't agree that sharing Search Reference will help most users. People have become accustomed to the "Google experience," so trying to teach people to use wildcards and other methods is a fruitless exercise. Users expect search to be intuitive, simple, and deliver relevant results. Krug's philosophy applies: Don't Make Me Think.
              • How does search work? has lots of helpful information and it's helped me craft my tips below.

My best on-site search tips:

• Be prepared to be frustrated. Jive's search isn't strong with the force.
              • Make pages extremely unique and laser-focused.
              • Limit the volume of pages for a topic. It's better to have 1 page than 5.
              • Make keyword-rich (not keyword-stuffed) titles.
              • Use tags sparingly - especially if you have a large knowledge base. Tags lose their effectiveness if the same tags are used over a large number of pages. 
              • Include the targeted keyword in the title and the body copy, but don't be spammy.
              • Don't forget about spaces. Give them keyword-rich titles, descriptions, and tags.
              3 people found this helpful
                  Jennifer Kelley

Josh Gellock thanks for the reply and tips here.

I should clarify what I meant by

• "Jive looks at more content than Google." I disagree.

This was in reference NOT to the platforms' algorithms but to the best practices across SEO and internal Jive search that Peter Phillips originally asked about.  I don't want anyone getting the wrong impression there!  In the SEO webinar we noted some specific parts of the content that feeds into metadata and is more likely to be picked up by an external search engine, including title character counts, etc.

With regard to Jive's internal search, the platform looks at more parts of the content, including body copy and even body copy of attachments (so long as not scanned).  That is the only distinction I wanted to draw there between actual SEO and tips to optimize search within Jive.