11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2016 2:05 PM by fgomez

Where can I find the CSS Jive-x cloud?

Jordan Dayton

Sadly, as a Jive-x cloud customer, we are not able to adjust or override the CSS for our instance. Reference. But, if you can't beat 'em, then join em, right?!

I would love to see the CSS file that Jive is using so that we can leverage some of the classes/ids/styles that are available globally, for our cloud instance.

Also, does Jive have a Styleguide that cloud customers can leveraged of keep things in sync?

For example, the LMS product that we provide is a cloud solution and we provide this styleguide so that our users can easily create/leverage elements as they customize their UI/UX. Does Jive have something like this? If not, would anyone like to collaborate to create something like this?

• Re: Where can I find the CSS Jive-x cloud?
          alillie

I haven't been able to find any workaround on this. I know this also made it difficult to custom-code a new slider onto our community home page... I didn't realize that the one I had coded would conflict with built-in styles until I actually put the code in our sandbox space. It would definitely be nice to have some type of style guide as Jordan Dayton suggested, whether it be to avoid class/id/style conflicts or utilize what is already in there.

1 person found this helpful
            Jordan Dayton

I'm going to call in the big guns to see if they have any input here!

Hey Billy Volpone and Ryan Rutan do you guys have any insight on this question?

fgomez

Hi there,

Is there a way to customize this CSS in cloud? It looks like we can't override anything. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jordan Dayton

Hey Felipe Gomez I've asked this on a few different occasions and have been told by Jive-x Ninja, Billy Volpone, and our account manager Jonathan Guzman that cloud instances do not allow for CSS or JS overrides. Jive Cloud = WYSIWYG  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was looking for the global CSS so that perhaps I could leverage it as I design spaces and content in Jive.

fgomez

I've been told the same thing and the outcome is usually "oh well." haha I wonder why they don't allow it. I saw your discussion and was hoping something changed from the last time I tried exploring this option.

Hopefully in a future update.

Jordan Dayton

Yeah, I hear ya! That's been my response as well. I love that we're on cloud but it sure would be nice to have some additional control. We host a couple cloud LMS product called Canvas (community link: https://community.canvaslms.com/welcome) and we allow JS and CSS overrides. We provide the caveat to all customers that we do not support their overrides. They understand, yet appreciate that we offer them the flexibility. We upgrade our product every three weeks. And when we do, sometimes it breaks their stuff, but they knew that's the risk. I sorta wish Jive would trust us and empower us in the same way.

Billy Volpone

I won't pretend to understand the technical side of this question (like Ryan and Amber do), but personally it feels like more of a difference in philosophy. We come from many, many years of being only single-tenant hosted and on-premise software providers and have seen first hand what painful upgrades that can cause... whether we had a hand in it or not. Cloud is allowing far more mobility and rapid innovation but as always, there are limits there. Sometimes organizations are willing to offer those caveats and move forward, other times it's far more complicated. With how often technology changes hands inside of an organization as well, sometimes one person might decide to customize something that breaks all future upgrades, but the new owner doesn't want that, and the provider gets squeezed. Even with the caveats, it's hard to make that case as we're the ones offering the solution holistically.

With all that said, I know the teams are constantly trying to push the boundaries of what's possible on cloud and I feel like we are already doing a great job with that. Especially when it comes to custom tiles that can enable responsive 3rd party applications and other rich elements. I love what Jordan has done with tiles on the Canvas site... plus how he uses the Pages feature really effectively to turn a single group into a mini community destination. Certainly the global theming elements could go further, but those are the things users don't actually tend to notice. They don't interact with that. The community needs to blend as seamlessly as possible, but their  peer-to-peer interaction and overall content creation/discovery is always the main priority at the end of the day.

fgomez

More Theme Customization - I submitted an idea for more theme customization, css, etc.