6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2016 4:40 PM by pvanderhyde@tableausoftware.com

How to test SEO Improvements?

Frank Field

Hi, All!

Now that we're well clear of 2016.2, I wondered if anyone in the community could advise or tell their story about how to test the improvements that were made to SEO.

This doc outlined the improvements that were made: SEO - 2016.2 Deep Dive

There were some really great features, such as page-level redirects and keywords in URLs.

My question:  How can we test the impact of the improvements?  

The document says the improvements will enable Jive-x communities to rank better in search engines.  How do I know? How can I prove this? Is there some way to measure the improvement?

Has anybody measured this? If so, what did you do? Care to share your methods and maybe results?

Thanks!

• Re: How to test SEO Improvements?
          Jill Ross

Hi Frank,

I'd start with Google Analytics and compare specific landing page traffic from organic search before/after the changes took place.

Thanks,

Jill

1 person found this helpful
              Frank Field

Hi, Jill!

Haven't chatted since JW.  Thanks for that suggestion. Thought about GA, but what am I looking for? I'm not sure how to attribute the number of pageviews to the SEO changes vs. before? And what if the numbers are lower, both month-to-months and year/year?  I'm really not sure how to assign causation to whatever I find.

All the best!

Frank

Jill Ross

Hi Frank,

First I want to mention the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) group as a place where you might find more SME's on this topic.

In GA, you can go to the Acquisition -> All Traffic -> Channels section and filter down to Organic Search. You can then set Landing Page as your Primary Dimension and filter even further to specific URLs in the search box to get organic search traffic reports on individual pages you are trying to optimize. Change the date ranges as needed to get your before/after numbers.

I agree it is difficult to pinpoint what specifically impacts your SEO results, because there are so many contributing factors that you may or may not have a hand in.

1 person found this helpful
                      pvanderhyde@tableausoftware.com

We use our own product - Tableau - to connect to GA and run daily monthly reports with the source as the Dimension for referring traffic.    Here is a sample of one of those reports with all the measure values removed.  You can see the big turnaround that occurred in August of 2014 when we implemented several SEO improvements.   I limit this report to just show the top 3 referrers.  We have reporting to weekly and daily levels as well but monthly reports are a nice historical picture to show impacts. 

4 people found this helpful
                        mcollinge

One additional thing our SEO team does is maintain a list of search terms that are important to our Community (there are 100+ terms in the list). Then they use an automated tool that monitors where the site appears in the search results & records it over time to see how we're doing.

pvanderhyde@tableausoftware.com

Matt

We have done the same on occasion - not only checking the search term but what google thinks is the top response.  I wonder if adding a few more tags would help get a 'preferred' result for a search term up the list of potential results from our community?  Anyone have tricks for improving the SEO of a particular thread from your community to a  particular keyword? 

Patrick