5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2016 9:57 AM by Adam Arrowsmith

Best Practice - Do you review Discussions?

Toby Metcalf

Good day everyone,

I keep many metrics for my community and understand the difference between discussions vs questions: if the discussion is not marked as a question, there is not the opportunity to mark an answer as correct; thus, answers / solutions are are harder to find.

Does anyone review discussion threads to see discussions that should be marked as questions and change them?

Have you / do you take the time to review discussion threads see which ones should be questions and change them?  Over the last year the difference between discussions questions in my community is 552: I see that number as a place for knowledge to be lost.  Yes, there can still be the exchange of information, but looking at answers as a knowledge base, there is a potential for solutions to be lost?

Anyone see it that way?

10-4-2016 9-47-26 AM.jpg

Best & Thank you,

Toby

• Re: Best Practice - Do you review Discussions?
          Jill Ross

In our community, discussions are always marked as questions by default, so we spend more time unmarking discussions as questions vs. the other way around. Just wondering if you have the same setting? Or are your discussions not marked as questions by default? I could see where you would need to pay closer attention to discussions if they were not marked as questions out of the gate.

In my experience, I've found that it's rare for people to take the extra step to unmark a discussion as a question, so we don't pay much attention to discussions other than overall engagement metrics.

2 people found this helpful
              Toby Metcalf

Hi Jill,

Thanks for your reply - the box is checked by default in my community too, but I am seeing "how do I" types of questions when I spot check the discussions tab.

Along with capturing these solutions, now I am vexed as to why someone would uncheck the box. :-)

Cheers,

Toby

benfowler

I do spot check the discussion and re-mark them as questions when appropriate - I think it's a good practice for the reasons you mention. I found most users would leave the thread marked in the default state of "question" - rarely did they uncheck that to make it a discussion, so it's been not much of a problem.

That said, the new 2016.2 cloud release now splits these up under the user's action tab, so the separation between discussion and question is more visible (and accessible for users to choose). We've seen a slight up tick in the number of discussions, because of this, so it's something we're more closely monitoring.

2 people found this helpful