5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2017 11:48 AM by Billy Volpone

Jive Live Chat Inquiry

tconnery

Hello! I recently submitted an idea that may benefit external communication with our customers who use Jive. We have had difficulty in getting our secret group members to configure their notifications and want to enhance the way customer's can engage us directly right from inside their assigned secret group. We'd like Jive Software to explore adding a live chat capability for members to be able to message other members.  The primary use case would be for hosting services or orgs to receive live chat requests from their customer in real-time. With any hope, chat's could be saved or exported and converted into Jive docs for later reference inside the secret group or space. As per the design details, all of that can be figured out later - I am simply asking (begging) anyone who may have an interest in such a capability to please vote up this idea.

Please follow the url below in order to vote!  Thank you very much for your time and consideration!

Add Realtime Chat Capability

• Re: Jive Live Chat Inquiry
          Billy Volpone

Thanks for posting. I can tell you, having been here for many years, this topic has come up time and time again. We've of course offered chat solutions ourselves and have always been a community vendor. We've seen clients use 3rd party solutions as well, from Skype to LivePerson, etc. The real crux of the conversation is how much chat may or may not take away from core community content. Each chat, in essence, is like a phone call. 1-to-1 and once it ends, it's over and most often not captured. You do bring up a great point about converting those chats into content, which would help with that, but it's technically a bit more development and still a question of... "would that chat have been better as a discussion or document". With a focus on support as a use case, and therefore a focus on case/call/chat deflection, this can be a back and forth topic, as you can imagine. Not to mention that even if we built something, most would prefer to use their own chat solution that is already in place or from a vendor they like. In those cases, we can integrate, and have.

tconnery

Billy, thank you. We have been trying to integrate with a 3rd party solution but have had no luck. Our Jive X service strips out the script code from html widgets. If you have success in setting up 3rd party chat tools with Jive I'd like to hear more about it and can share with you the tool we are trying to integrate now. I will email you directly and perhaps we can discuss this further. Thanks

Billy Volpone

Happy to discuss, but the developer community might be a better resource as I don't often see chat embedded inside of Jive-x, often for the reasons discussed above... that they may take away from more persistent documents or discussions. However, I think if you were to pull in any 3rd party resource today, widgets would not be what I'd recommend. Jive-x tiles are by far superior both for mobile responsiveness, as well as their ability to leverage 3rd party APIs. For example, our connections with SFDC, Zendesk, and ServiceNow all leverage a Tile's ability to showcase unique experiences right within Jive's network. 

mcafiero

The point of live chat is to offer your guests a way to get immediate help, rather than forcing them to search and search and possibly never find a solution to their problem, and ultimately losing the relationship altogether.

This is what upstanding companies offer to their visitors; they provide many options to keep all types of users.

Billy Volpone

Absolutely, but there are always trade offs. It's why you'll see many community have the "ask a question" prompt/tile on the homepage and every single group. Search is only one facet of success, with the other option to create and ask the network, then reuse said conversation, instead of losing it within a chat. Not saying chat doesn't serve a distinct purpose and it can be extremely useful. However, it can also cause more work and lost knowledge as it might get abused those some who should have instead posted to the community. There really aren't any hard and fast rules here though, only best practices and how you might choose to work on making sure that "chat crutch" doesn't happen.