5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2017 10:05 AM by wesley.goldstein

Prepopulate multi-word tag from URL

Patrick Leffas

I know that it's possible to prepopulate single-word tags for new content from a URL, like this:

https://my.intranet.com/document/create.jspa?

containerType=700

&containerID=12898

&tags=firstTag+SecondTag

But how can I prepopulate multi-word tags (like "first tag" instead of "firstTag" or "first_tag") from the URL? Everything I try (+, %20, single quotes, double quotes, brackets, braces, etc.) still creates two separate tags. I'd prefer to keep multi-word tags separated by spaces instead of by underscores.

• Re: Prepopulate multi-word tag from URL
          tmaurer

Hi Patrick,

I've been trying to accomplish this as well. I thought I had figured it out using a space, but I must not have tested it (thought I was SURE I had...).

Surely someone must know the answer to this? Maybe Doug MacKay?

-Tracy

• Re: Prepopulate multi-word tag from URL

Thanks for the fun puzzle!

I chewed on this for a while and asked around the watercooler but came up dry. I think we could file this as a bug.

What we discovered is that in the create document process, on the backend we seem to be interpreting any encoded space or '+' in between two words in the tag param as "split these into two separate tags." Sending a multi-word tag as a URL parameter seems like an edge case that wasn't accounted for when we introduced blank spaces in tags in Jive 8.

As a workaround, if you're on Cloud or 9.0, you could use the 'Document Template' functionality to

1. Create a blank template with the tags you want
                2. Got to Actions > Create a Copy
                3. Use the Create a Template URL

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 17.56.00.png

When this fires, it pulls the tags from your template content on the backend when a user navigates this URL. The only catch is that it also copies the content title and body, so you'd need to give it a generic title and something in the content body.

Hope this helps!

1 person found this helpful