2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2016 6:35 AM by Dennis Pearce

Do Group Members Share or Hoard Knowledge?

spearce
      Flavors of Engagement_Lina Pearce Speaker_World Bank Seminar_20161027.jpg

Last week, I got a chance to share best practices on employee engagement; creating the right learning to get members onto the community and talking.  http://tiny.cc/WorldBankCmtyPost

The two tactics I talked about are conflict (choose sides) and challenge. I'd love to continue exploring more solutions with other Jive experts. 

• What are your strategies to get members to exchange information in a group? 
      • Do you know the root causes for them not sharing information?
        • Re: Do Group Members Share or Hoard Knowledge?
          Toby Metcalf

Good day Sharon,

Let's break this down; two very interesting questions.

• What are your strategies to get members to exchange information in a group?
            • People respond to who they trust; the information they provide is valued and they can implement change.  When we build out customer focus groups, I advise building the group slowly to eliminate too much noise, using a personal invite rather than a mass email to invite them, finally,  "white gloving" them into the group and making it clear why they are being asked.  Make perspective members feel valued, understand why they have been asked, what they are getting out the group, and what we are doing with their shared knowledge

• Do you know the root causes for them not sharing information?
            • I believe communities work because people like to help one another and get satisfaction knowing the are "expert" on issues.  Lack of trust will keep people from sharing; maybe they also wonder "what's in it for me?"  In addition, if you can crack this answer, please let me know as I would love to get some of my lurkers to be contributors :-)

Best,

Toby

2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Do Group Members Share or Hoard Knowledge?
            Dennis Pearce

A lot of the older KM literature argues that people will deliberately hoard information because knowledge is power, but I've rarely seen that in practice.  In my experience it tends to be either (1) they feel that what they know is "not ready for prime time" and might be misinterpreted if they don't get all the wording and numbers just right before releasing it, or (2) they just weren't aware that anyone outside their small circle of co-workers would have any interest or use in their knowledge.

That's why I encourage working out loud.  "Sharing" implies there is a giver and a receiver, which means there needs to be some kind of coordination of exchange, and this can often be difficult for any number of cultural, personal, or political reasons.  Plus, the giver and receiver need to know of each other's existence in order for the exchange to take place. 

On the other hand, WOL is just putting your work and knowledge out there without necessarily knowing if or when anyone else might make use of it.  Somebody else can then come along and take advantage of that knowledge, but transactionally it's two independent individual actions (the posting of knowledge and the seeking of knowledge), which is much simpler than coordinating a knowledge exchange.

4 people found this helpful