6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2016 6:59 PM by astarr@mdsol.com

Increasing engagement when Jive is the latest in a long line of social 'experiments' at your company?

astarr@mdsol.com

One of my biggest challenges as a space owner is getting members of the space to be more active in Jive, especially when it is viewed as just another tool they have to learn.  I was privy to some great ideas today, but wanted to throw it out here to see what other ideas are out there.

• Re: Increasing engagement when Jive is the latest in a long line of social 'experiments' at your company?
          Libby Taylor

Hey Adam, I'd like to urge you to post in Internal Communities or External Communities depending in which situation this pertains to... you're more likely to get an answer to your question in these places. We are trying to keep the questions in this Customer Hub on pre-product release questions or conversations that absolutely need to be private.

I can move your question if you prefer... just let me know if this question is regarding an employee community or an external/customer community. Thanks!

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Increasing engagement when Jive is the latest in a long line of social 'experiments' at your company?
            radelgado

Hi Adam,

Just this past week we held a pie baking contest in our central office, as a pilot to see if we can use the guise of a contest to push more users to use our intranet, before we go statewide with it. It did work (plus the pies were delicious)

there were pictures of pies posted, and we used an open group page to showcase the entrants and eventual winners of the contest as seen here:

we set up a poll for the voting, after we had a tasting time set up.

this was fun, and like i mentioned, it did generate a lot more intranet users as well as interest, most of the executive staff came to me asking how they can use our intranet to help them out, and hearing that, as well as how "easy it is once you look into it" made me very happy and hopeful that the rest of our agency

1 person found this helpful
              Libby Taylor

Hi Adam, I just moved your question to Internal Communities.

I'd also like to address your question as well. When I first started using Jive (as a customer), I found that giving people an almost mandatory reason to use the tool was key. So, if you are running a donation campaign for the holidays, or a fundraiser for a food drive, or a contest for an HR campaign, putting it all through your community, instead of your web site or Intranet, is key. Make using Jive the only way they can get work done, gamify it, offer prizes, acknowledge leaders publically... all of the those things helped to build place engagement.

Now that I'm a Jive insider, where we actually do ALL OF OUR WORK inside Jive, it's hard to image any other way of working. I haven't used Microsoft Word in years. We all use Jive docs to create content and collaborate on it. Anytime someone has an idea or wants comments on a project, we do all of that in Jive (we don't send emails to each other at all).

My question back to you... what is your space about? What are you trying to get people to do there? Having a really strong use case is key. If it's not compelling enough, people might not change their way of doing things. Let's figure out a way to make your use case essential!

3 people found this helpful
                  Dori Gray

I was just talking to Nik about this today. At my last job, I managed a space that had insanely high engagement because people HAD to use it to get crucial information and to get answers to extremely pressing questions that deeply affected their lives. That is an extreme situation, but my point is, when people have to use Jive, they very quickly learn how it works. I mean, look at our own Halloween contest Adam - we see our highest engagement that day because it's the only way people can enter and vote in the contest. The key is finding an opportunity for people to have to use it, and of course to make it fun. Part of own strategy (which I started at the last job and continue here) involves answering questions FAST. If people realize that asking in our community is the fastest and easiest way to get answers, they'll do it more. And they'll learn the basics of using it at the same time. Give people a reason to want to use it more.

2 people found this helpful