3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2017 8:24 AM by Toby Metcalf

Username and Privacy

Toby Metcalf

Good day everyone,

Seeing someone's full name (and picture) does wonders to increase trust within community discussions; have you had requests from your members to not show their full name?

The only way I can see to accommodate this request is to manually change the username to first initial - full last name.

Have you had this request and do you have a work around?

Thank you.

Best,

Toby

• Re: Username and Privacy
          daniel.marotta

Hi Toby,

I think you can achieve this by changing the Privacy setting for the Name field to "Yourself." As long as the member's username is something other than their real name, they should be all set.

One thing to keep an eye out for is that when a member is viewing their own content or profile, they will see their real name displayed even with the above selected. But when other's view their content or profile, they only see the member's username.

Hope that helps.

-Dan

2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Username and Privacy
            socketz

You can change the default display status for any of the items within the user profile: Admin Console->People->Settings->Display Settings

We only have Title, Join Date, Location and Biography visible to everyone by default.  As Daniel Mentioned, all of these can be changed by the user if they decide that they want some element of their profile to be made public.

I agree with Daniel's last sentence as well as this confuses alot of people and causes them to believe everyone can see their full name, when in fact, only they themselves or platform admins can see the full name.

I find that most users prefer not to expose their real names, but this could be industry and/or application specific.

2 people found this helpful