6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2017 9:44 AM by Scott A Johnson

On-Prem and Cloud solution of Jive

mckenzie_j

Hi,

We have an On-Prem Jive platform for our client and now we are moving to Jive cloud hosted solution. I am trying to understand how to make this shift more smooth. I did read through many posts in the Jive website, but I would like some help on the following:

1. How do we set up local development environment to develop customizations.

2. Can we deploy custom WAR, plugins, themes into JIVE cloud solutions. If so,how?

3. How do we test our changes in the staging environment.We have an internal Quality assurance team who would run test cases and also load test. I know that we cannot do load test in UAT of JIVE cloud instances.

4. What will be the change that we will experience in terms of development,deployment as we move from an On-Prem solution to Jive hosted cloud solutions.

If there is something that you feel important, based on your experience, that we should focus or pay attention to, kindly let me know.

Best,

Mckenzie

• Re: On-Prem and Cloud solution of Jive
          jgoldhammer

Hi Mckenzie,

1. Depending on what you want to develop you should be using a cloud testsystem or sandbox to test your addons. Setup the IDE you want, hack, build your addon and test it on a cloud demo/test/preview instance...

2. No, that is not possible to deploy our own war files into Jive Cloud. Jive Cloud does not allow such customisations.

3. You can buy a separate UAT Jive Cloud environment where you can test your changes before making them on your live jiveon instance.

4. You cannot modify internal stuff of the Jive platform. In Jive On-Premise you often have to hack Java, FTL, SOY and XML. In Jive Cloud, you have to use the JIVE REST API to manipulate and fetch data and hack HTML, CSS and JS for frontend stuff...

Thanks

Jens

1 person found this helpful
              mckenzie_j

Thanks Jens Goldhammer.  For #2, Can you confirm  if Jive cloud restricts any form of customization? Can we deploy custom plugins or custom theme files. If so, what is then allowed to be customized in Jive cloud. This clarity will help me a lot.

Best,

Mckenzie

jgoldhammer

Jive Cloud does not allow modifications of existing functionality in the backend, only addons which add tiles, place pages and Profile actions and more. In genetal you can only add new features...

Themeing ist only possible with the built-in themeing Tool, custom css and html for header and footer, nothing more...

2 people found this helpful
                    jgoldhammer

And no plugins in Jive Cloud. If you are on Jive hosted, this will be possible. Please specifiy if you migrate to Jive Cloud or Jive hosted...

mckenzie_j

Hi Jens Goldhammer

. THank you for your response.

Our current environment is hosted on Jive cloud. We want to set up a similar environment(ideally migrate the data from Jive cloud) on a Jive hosted solution.

In this process, we are looking for introducing some more custom features in addition to the existing features and date migrated from the Jive cloud. These new customizations would require us to modify Jive platform default workflow. We feel a custom plugin, theme or web overlay will be required to achieve the functionality.

So, to answer  your question, we will be migrated the platform from a Jive cloud to Jive hosted and plan to add few customization that may need custom plugins or web overlays to be implemented.

Hope I have given more clarity. Some of my questions may be very novice as I am learning Jive cloud and cloud hosted solution.

Questions:

1. Does Jive hosted solution allow deployment of custom built plugins like the Hello World plugin.

2. Can we deploy custom theme as we can in the On Prem solution. Like create a theme.zip file and upload the same into the  ${jive_home}/sbs/home/themes location?

3.  Are web overlays  in a Jive hosted solution.?

Looking forward for your response.

Thanks,

Mckenzie

Scott A Johnson

Hi Mckenzie,

To answer your questions.

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Yes

Deployment of all three Plugins, Custom Themes and Web Overlays are done through the poorly named "Cloud Admin" portal. This doesn't really have anything to do with Cloud instances, but is just a legacy name (before the days of "Jive Cloud" offerings.

When you are ready to start making your transition and testing customizations, you'll want to reach out to your Jive Technical Account Manager to get a Hosted instance for Prod and UAT setup.

The one thing to consider is that moving from Jive Cloud to Hosted will be a degradation of features as the latest Jive Hosted version (9.0.x) will always be behind the Jive Cloud feature set.

Migrating "backwards" may not be as simple as moving forwards, as Jive may or may not have scripts to do that. It may require Jive Professional Services involvement.

I hope that helps and good luck with the migration!

Scott