5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2017 8:26 AM by deeparamesh

Tagging and any examples of tagging conventions you use in your community?

deeparamesh

Hi everyone,

I manage an internal community Greenhouse, for Kantar Millward Brown. We are a mature community and have been on Jive for 5 years. Back when we first launched, we launched with simple documentation on how to tag but didn't launch with specific guidelines on what exactly should be used to tag each 'official document' especially for our space admins who upload alot of our product documents and FAQs.

Over the years, the tags in our system have grown and since there is no easy way to delete tags, we usually do a yearly clean up of removing tags from individual documents and then have Jive flush them out of Greenhouse so they don't appear on suggestions. It is not an easy task but it is the best way for us to clean up user-entered tags. Also, search results do seem to vary based on what documents are tagged with so monitoring tagging continues to be one of the most important tasks in our community.

As we start a new year, I think we could create a specific document that lists out how each document in our official spaces should be tagged. Since we moved to cloud we can also use bulk content management to add tags to multiple documents. So this should make it easier to complete the task.

For example, if we have specific documents in our Brand Guidelines space. We could make sure that each document is tagged with ‘branding’, ‘brand guidelines’ and ‘design’ and other words that are specific to the documents.

I thought it might be a good idea to see how other community managers have managed tagging in their community. Do you have a list of tags that you recommend are used? If so can you please share?

I have already looked at this document: Tagging & Categories Best Practices but I think specific examples of tag words will be helpful.

Thanks

Deepa

• Re: Tagging and any examples of tagging conventions you use in your community?
          tburak

Hi Deepa Ramesh - we have the same issue - both with content tagging and skills tagging -

Firstly, we need to remove the convention of the under_score which is a tedious process when done manually.

Secondly, we need to correct skills on profiles, where the under_score convention was used, without losing recommendations.

I am speaking with Oliver Beirne - to see if consultants could help us, but in my mind, we should, as admins, be able to run these clean up tasks, but there is no clear solution.

In addition to the clean up, we are looking to work with our teams to create 'suggested tags', but this is a work in progress.

Do keep me in the loop as to what works for you - and I will share the same!

Tanya

2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Tagging and any examples of tagging conventions you use in your community?
            Helen Chen

I think this is  a super important point.  Without an agreed upon tagging process, the list of suggested tags or content will get very messy over time. 

I recommend to my space owners that, in addition to a small tile introducing their space to new visitors, why it exists, they should also have a list of allowed tags.  I tell them to keep it short and sweet, but make sure that their practices align with other teams.   Some teams are more process oriented, and others are technical, so the actual terms in the dictionary will vary.  It is their responsibility to monitor, but I will go in and edit if I see weirdnesses as content is published.

One thing that I did do on launch was to reach out to marketing and product management to get agreement on how they wanted to use product names as tags.  I shared this information with all the teams and asked them to use this list as starters. Some permutations have evolved, but I try to keep an eye out to make sure the changes don't impact search. So if support wants to add version numbers or environment to the product name, I try to make sure the additional information is a separate tag, or is added with spaces so as not to impact search.

Another thing that helped me to get a handle on tags before launch was to ask IT to dump a list of tags previously used in Salesforce. I showed the list to the team leaders, Together we pruned the list to things that made sense to our current business processes. (It was also a great training activity, as it showed them how messy this list can get over time) I tossed this list into a Jive doc with a # before each term and published to a private space. This seeded the list of suggested tags which greatly simplified start-up.    

Hths!

1 person found this helpful
              Stuart McIntyre

Really good discussion, thanks for sparking it Deepa Ramesh. One comment to add to the pot... 

Whilst tags tend to get used as a form of taxonomy in many communities (and I think this is where you're headed at KMW, Deepa), i.e. as a formal (or at least semi-formal) way to categorise and sort content, that is not not their primary purpose.

My view of tagging across all the social and collaboration platforms I've worked with is that tagging should be fundamentally about folksonomy and thus they should be a 'user-generated system'. In my opinion (and in a perfect world) tags should reflect a 360° view of how a piece of content is valued by stakeholders and consumers. Each person that interacts with the content will have their own terms for what makes it valuable (or helps them find it again, or allows them to group it with other similar content etc).

Now, just like any platform, Jive has its limitations and so that 360° view is difficult to attain (non-authors/CMs can't really tag content). But even so, I would strongly argue against an 'organisation enforced' tagging system. Provide best practices (especially re: spaces/underscores/hyphens etc), but don't lock them down so far that users cannot use the tags for their original purpose...

Oh, and completely agree that Jive need better tag-management tools. No question...

deeparamesh

Hi Stuart McIntyre,

Thank you for your thoughts!

We have educated our users on best practices but you still have the odd user who doesn't change their tagging behavior because they are so used to doing things a certain way (example: underscores) and this again means that a tag we cleaned out of the system is now back again. What's worse is with the way tags work in Jive. Older tags drop to the bottom of the list.

For example one of our models is something called 'meaningfully different framework'. If I try to tag a question with that, as I start typing many tag variations appear at the top and the first tag created 'meaningfully different framework' appears right at the bottom. The example below is actually not too bad as we actually cleaned up many of the incorrect variations end of last year! In many cases the tag we want doesn't even appear on the page as there are hundreds of variations. Users don't tend to scroll down and in most cases choose a tag that is right at the top or they create their own version.

meaingfully.png

Alot of our users post questions on our methodology and the way they phrase their question is often different so what/how they tag that question with is most important as that would mean when another user searches for an answer to a similar question the right discussion/question appears in search.

We currently have thousands of tags and this would be alot more if we didn't do our yearly clean-up.

I do believe that 'user- generated system' and tagging is what we had in mind when we first launched 5 years ago and I agree that if we had better tag-management tools, we would be in a better position!

Thanks

Deepa