2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2017 11:33 AM by tmaurer

How do the redirect rules work?

tmaurer

I've read through the 2016.2 SEO Deep Dive documentation, and it didn't provide the details I was looking for. If it isn't obvious, I am asking for a Cloud site.

Specifically, we need to change the URL for a space to match the new naming scheme the company is using. There are lots of existing links pointing not only to the space itself, but to content within the space as well as sub-spaces and projects. We want to make sure that all of those links continue to work.

We tried using the Redirection Rules to accomplish this. We set a single redirect for the URL for the space itself. This worked for getting to the space itself, but not for blog posts. I haven't yet tested sub-spaces and projects - we switched the URL back because we didn't want to disrupt employee traffic on the site.

1. Do we need more than just one redirect for the space-level URL?
      2. If so, what are the parameters (i.e. for the blog, or is it also any blog posts?)

My experience in the past, when I was working on a hosted Jive site, was that redirection rules worked without issues, so now I'm really confused. I find it hard to believe, but I suppose it is possible they didn't work and we just didn't get complaints about them not working?

Thanks for your help!

• Re: How do the redirect rules work?

Hi Tracy,

Reviewing through your description it appears you have found the most comprehensive documentation on the redirection feature available in cloud - SEO - 2016.2 Deep Dive  -  however are interested in covering a scenario to update multiple hardcoded links containing the old URL structure, something like:

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 8.00.13 AM.png

If so, to answer your specific questions:

Do we need more than just one redirect for the space-level URL?

If so, what are the parameters (i.e. for the blog, or is it also any blog posts?)

Yes, as only simple redirects are available in cloud you would need to add a 1:1 match on the URLs hardcoded into content. For a blogpost example:

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 8.13.33 AM.png

My experience in the past, when I was working on a hosted Jive site, was that redirection rules worked without issues, so now I'm really confused. I find it hard to believe, but I suppose it is possible they didn't work and we just didn't get complaints about them not working?

As hosted also supported regular expression redirects (Custom Redirection Plugin ), it was possible to accomplish the scenario above. Additionally, this was raised as a potential improvement to the Jive Cloud platform here - Redirect rules in cloud: Add support for regular expressions  - unfortunately, as Sarah's update indicates:

I have just been informed that this idea has already been considered by the product managers and was intentionally left out of the cloud release. While we appreciate your input and taking the time to vote, we will not be implementing it at this time.  Sorry everyone

Thanks!

• Re: How do the redirect rules work?
              tmaurer

Thanks, Jesse, for the very thorough response.

It is a real shame that functionality isn't being implemented since blog posts in a place end up making this really problematic and/or time consuming to implement. Likely preaching to the choir, but both internal and external customers frequently have situations where there is an org change or a product name change and they want their site (including URLs) to mirror the change. Providing support for that business need would seem to be a given.

I'll go take a look at the idea you linked to, and see if I can revive or something.